Common canopy frame mistake

  • Bob Collins
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2007
      In reviewing the instructions and looking at various builder sites,
      I've found what appears to be a common mistake in construction; a
      mistake which I have now also made. We'll see if it causes any problem.

      When you install the side (725) rails, the instructions say to lay
      out and drill the holes on the rear angle where it attaches to the 631
      canopy frame rear channel.

      Looking back, it DOESN'T say drill those holes through to the canopy
      rear channel. Lots of folks -- and now me -- do.

      But looking ahead in the instructions, those holes aren't drilled
      until after the big cut is made. The reason is that after the cut is
      made, and while the now-split canopy is resting on the roll bar. You
      reposition the channels so you get a good fit up against the canopy
      and then you clamp it. THEN you drill the splice plate (everyone gets
      this one right) and THEN you drill the rear angle through to the
      channel.
    • Jeffrey Klug
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8, 2007

        Thanks for pointing that out Bob.  Hopefully, things will work out for your canopy.

        Jeff

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2007
          With it being well in the 90s today, I made the "big cut" All went well...in fact the cut turned out near perfect (one slight nick). The final cut itself was so straight that the edge only needed light sanding.

          I really worked hard to stay on line...I got REALLY close to the die grinder to make sure I was right on....stuff was flying everywhere, it was stinging my face and --although I should've used goggles, I didn't have any -- and it was starting to get in my eyes despite my safety glasses. So I used duct tape to plug up all the "leaks".  Check this out (you'll see it if you get email, you won't if you view online)

          As for the channel. I'm guessing I'll have to add some shims, at least in the lower portion of the rear channel. I've also got to figure out how to cut around the bracket that holds the rollbar in place.

          By the way, I tested out a theory today. Every now and again I read online someone who used a Sharpie pen on their canopy and then couldn't figure out how to get the Sharpie off. It's actually easy. Just take a dry-ink pen (the kind you use on those whiteboards) and scribble over the mark the Sharpie made. Wait a second. Wipe it off. This, by the way, will also work for those folks who accidentally use permanent marker on their whiteboards at work.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 8, 2007
              Message
              Before I do that, I should trim the sides, and have things fitting through the "ears", right?

                Yeah. This will be one of the final things you do, touch up, if you will.

                Watch the fit in the area of the ears. I got a crack on the final hole I drilled near the right side ear. I actually cut the ear off. There was enough tension it  caused a crack.

                Darwin
                Before I do that, I should trim the sides, and have things fitting through the "ears", right?

                  see attached....  The photo shows the sides after the cut.
                  Ron F.