Re: dumb question time

  • RobertCGRO
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2007
      The best site for tracking APRS that I've seen and used is
      www.aprs.fi and open to all. It has a lot of features and can create
      a Googe Earth KML if you prefer it for tracking.

      Ys, 1/2 watt is fine for most areas served by a digi or fill-in APRS
      repeater(s). The idea is not to flood rf with high power signals
      beyond your local area. The Internet takes care of gating your signal
      for the rest of the world to see. That's the idea of the new WIDEn-N
      paradigm as well.

      Be very careful about jumping in and buying hardware without
      understanding the protocols and operating modes required to use it.
      Take a visit over to Bob Bruninga's (WB4APR) website. He's the father
      of APRS and the fount of all knowledge therein. APRS is just like CW.
      It's very easy and it's very hard, or else everyone would be doing it!

      73,
      Rob't VA3ROM
      http://my.tbaytel.net/va3rom

      --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "texasexpediter" <K5LDB.Leo@...> wrote:

      > I want to have a system in my truck that will let folks at home
      follow
      > me around via findu.com or similar. Do I understand correctly that
      > with this unit I only need to attach a 2m antenna and it will do
      that?

    • texasexpediter
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 2 7:14 PM
        --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Curt, WE7U" <archer@...> wrote:

        > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, texasexpediter wrote:
        >
        > > I want to have a system in my truck that will let folks at home follow
        > > me around via findu.com or similar. Do I understand correctly that
        > > with this unit I only need to attach a 2m antenna and it will do that?
        >
        > It's a bit low-powered for mobile use. There are other
        > considerations also such as the APRS channel usage (in your area and
        > the areas you're going to travel through), what the igate coverage
        > is, etc.
        >
        > I'd recommend 10W - 20W for a mobile setup, with a good
        > permanent-mount antenna.
        >
        > Consider a Kenwood D710A or an Alinco DR-135T with a T2-135
        > (Tracker2) TNC from Scott Miller thrown in if you want a mostly
        > all-in-one tracker setup for a mobile.
        >
        > Or you can go cheap like many of us and run a tinytrak or an
        > opentracker/tracker2 with a cheapie mobile radio/antenna/GPS. More
        > integration required, but more satisfaction too when it all works.
        >
        > I'm running a 2-meter mobile bought on sale ($150), a Radio Shack
        > GPS bought on closeout ($29.97), and an OpenTracker-1 in my Jeep. I
        > run a separate 2-meter mobile for voice.
        >
        > If I was starting from scratch I'd probably go with the
        > Alinco/T2-135 combo as it'd result in fewer cables but as much
        > capability: Just need power/antenna/GPS/GPS-cable. Don't buy the
        > Alinco DR-135TP (Note the 'P'), which includes a crappy TNC inside.
        > Buy it without the TNC (DR-135T) and add Scott's T2-135 board inside
        > it.
        >
        > --
        > Curt, WE7U: <www.eskimo.com/~archer/> XASTIR: <www.xastir.org>
        > "Lotto: A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
        > "Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U
        > The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!

        I've thought about the 710 with an Avmap. That would require dealing
        with the wiring etc. on it as well as perhaps more complicated
        learning curves. I'm sure Alinco is good but I'd go with the Kenwood
        if I was going that route. I was just hoping to find a solution that
        is plug in and go.
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2 8:33 PM
          --- texasexpediter <K5LDB.Leo@...> wrote:

          > I was just hoping to find a solution that is plug
          > in and go.

          That is exactly the niche that the RTrak was created
          to fill. Plug and play.

          I have been checking into 35W Mirage 2M amps. The
          typical price is $90 a unit. This would be what I
          would consider the best match with the RTrak.

        • texasexpediter
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3 4:18 PM
            --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, Jason Rausch <lists@...> wrote:

            > --- texasexpediter <K5LDB.Leo@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I was just hoping to find a solution that is plug
            > > in and go.
            >
            > That is exactly the niche that the RTrak was created
            > to fill. Plug and play.
            >
            > I have been checking into 35W Mirage 2M amps. The
            > typical price is $90 a unit. This would be what I
            > would consider the best match with the RTrak.
            >
            > Jason KE4NYV
            > RPC Electronics
            > www.rpc-electronics.com

            So if I got an rtrak, either with or without the Mirage, would I have
            to find out frequencies where I was driving or just set it and forget
            it? If you have to change the freq. all the time that partially
            defeats the purpose of plug it in and forget it. As is obviously
            apparent I know very little about this area.
          • Facility 406 DM09
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3 7:36 PM
              The national 2m APRS is 144.39 MHz. Set it to that and leave it alone...

              Kurt

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 5 11:47 AM
                --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Facility 406 DM09" <facility_406@...>
                wrote:

                > The national 2m APRS is 144.39 MHz. Set it to that and leave it
                > alone...

                We are working on some frequency schemes right now. There will be
                either 4 or 8 frequency slots that will be user-definable. Either
                way, we will ship the unit with 144.390 pre-loaded in the first
                frequency slot. When you receive the unit, all that you have to do
                is program the minimal settings: your callsign, path and beacon
                comment. Plug it in and let it go!

              • c0j
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 12 7:13 PM
                  Another dumb question... I did a quick search in the archives, and couldn't see the answer.
                  Are you considering an internal power option?

                  Regards
                  de John
                  EI7IG
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 17 2:22 PM
                    --- c0j <c0j_1999@...> wrote:

                    > Another dumb question... I did a quick search in the
                    > archives, and couldn't see the answer.
                    > Are you considering an internal power option?

                    John, the idea has come up and may be a feature in
                    some future RTrak version. If I was to include a
                    battery, it would be one of the new Lithium Polymer
                    batteries, with a built in LiPo charger that can
                    change the battery, while being powering from a +12V
                    source.

                    Maxim IC makes a single chip solution for LiPo
                    charging, so I am looking into doing somthing with
                    that down the road...long down the road.

                  • Jon
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 18 1:36 AM
                      > > Another dumb question... I did a quick search in
                      > the
                      > > archives, and couldn't see the answer.
                      > > Are you considering an internal power option?
                      >
                      > John, the idea has come up and may be a feature in
                      > some future RTrak version. If I was to include a
                      > battery, it would be one of the new Lithium Polymer
                      > batteries, with a built in LiPo charger that can
                      > change the battery, while being powering from a +12V
                      > source.
                      Nice...

                      > Maxim IC makes a single chip solution for LiPo
                      > charging, so I am looking into doing somthing with
                      > that down the road...long down the road.
                      Ok cool...

                      For throwing in a pack.. it makes sense to have the
                      batteries part of the unit..

                      John