Re: [rtrak] dumb question time

  • Curt, WE7U
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 29, 2007
      On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, texasexpediter wrote:

      > I want to have a system in my truck that will let folks at home follow
      > me around via findu.com or similar. Do I understand correctly that
      > with this unit I only need to attach a 2m antenna and it will do that?

      It's a bit low-powered for mobile use. There are other
      considerations also such as the APRS channel usage (in your area and
      the areas you're going to travel through), what the igate coverage
      is, etc.

      I'd recommend 10W - 20W for a mobile setup, with a good
      permanent-mount antenna.

      Consider a Kenwood D710A or an Alinco DR-135T with a T2-135
      (Tracker2) TNC from Scott Miller thrown in if you want a mostly
      all-in-one tracker setup for a mobile.

      Or you can go cheap like many of us and run a tinytrak or an
      opentracker/tracker2 with a cheapie mobile radio/antenna/GPS. More
      integration required, but more satisfaction too when it all works.

      I'm running a 2-meter mobile bought on sale ($150), a Radio Shack
      GPS bought on closeout ($29.97), and an OpenTracker-1 in my Jeep. I
      run a separate 2-meter mobile for voice.

      If I was starting from scratch I'd probably go with the
      Alinco/T2-135 combo as it'd result in fewer cables but as much
      capability: Just need power/antenna/GPS/GPS-cable. Don't buy the
      Alinco DR-135TP (Note the 'P'), which includes a crappy TNC inside.
      Buy it without the TNC (DR-135T) and add Scott's T2-135 board inside
      it.

      --
      Curt, WE7U: <www.eskimo.com/~archer/> XASTIR: <www.xastir.org>
      The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 29, 2007
        --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "texasexpediter" <K5LDB.Leo@...> wrote:

        > Do I understand correctly that with this unit I only need to attach
        > a 2m antenna and it will do that?

        Simply put, Yes, all you have to do is add the power and this will do
        that for you.

        plenty of places that you will NEVER get digipeated, iGated or even
        seen for the simple fact that there is no one or thing with APRS
        equipment. I can show you places in Virginia alone that not even my
        50W tracker was digipeated or iGated. I was possibly received by
        someone's home station, but there is no way I can prove that.

        I admit that the RTrak's output power of 850mW is low, but with a
        decent antenna and decent digipeater coverage, you have a pretty good
        chance of getting in as everyone else in the area does. Our tests
        right here in Virginia Beach, Va. have shown that and we have
        moderate digipeater coverage. Our testing has been with a 5/8 wave
        whip antenna so far.

        Just my $0.02 on the subject.

      • RobertCGRO
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 30, 2007
          The best site for tracking APRS that I've seen and used is
          www.aprs.fi and open to all. It has a lot of features and can create
          a Googe Earth KML if you prefer it for tracking.

          Ys, 1/2 watt is fine for most areas served by a digi or fill-in APRS
          repeater(s). The idea is not to flood rf with high power signals
          beyond your local area. The Internet takes care of gating your signal
          for the rest of the world to see. That's the idea of the new WIDEn-N
          paradigm as well.

          Be very careful about jumping in and buying hardware without
          understanding the protocols and operating modes required to use it.
          Take a visit over to Bob Bruninga's (WB4APR) website. He's the father
          of APRS and the fount of all knowledge therein. APRS is just like CW.
          It's very easy and it's very hard, or else everyone would be doing it!

          73,
          Rob't VA3ROM
          http://my.tbaytel.net/va3rom

          --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "texasexpediter" <K5LDB.Leo@...> wrote:

          > I want to have a system in my truck that will let folks at home
          follow
          > me around via findu.com or similar. Do I understand correctly that
          > with this unit I only need to attach a 2m antenna and it will do
          that?

        • texasexpediter
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2007
            --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Curt, WE7U" <archer@...> wrote:

            > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, texasexpediter wrote:
            >
            > > I want to have a system in my truck that will let folks at home follow
            > > me around via findu.com or similar. Do I understand correctly that
            > > with this unit I only need to attach a 2m antenna and it will do that?
            >
            > It's a bit low-powered for mobile use. There are other
            > considerations also such as the APRS channel usage (in your area and
            > the areas you're going to travel through), what the igate coverage
            > is, etc.
            >
            > I'd recommend 10W - 20W for a mobile setup, with a good
            > permanent-mount antenna.
            >
            > Consider a Kenwood D710A or an Alinco DR-135T with a T2-135
            > (Tracker2) TNC from Scott Miller thrown in if you want a mostly
            > all-in-one tracker setup for a mobile.
            >
            > Or you can go cheap like many of us and run a tinytrak or an
            > opentracker/tracker2 with a cheapie mobile radio/antenna/GPS. More
            > integration required, but more satisfaction too when it all works.
            >
            > I'm running a 2-meter mobile bought on sale ($150), a Radio Shack
            > GPS bought on closeout ($29.97), and an OpenTracker-1 in my Jeep. I
            > run a separate 2-meter mobile for voice.
            >
            > If I was starting from scratch I'd probably go with the
            > Alinco/T2-135 combo as it'd result in fewer cables but as much
            > capability: Just need power/antenna/GPS/GPS-cable. Don't buy the
            > Alinco DR-135TP (Note the 'P'), which includes a crappy TNC inside.
            > Buy it without the TNC (DR-135T) and add Scott's T2-135 board inside
            > it.
            >
            > --
            > Curt, WE7U: <www.eskimo.com/~archer/> XASTIR: <www.xastir.org>
            > "Lotto: A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
            > "Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U
            > The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!

            I've thought about the 710 with an Avmap. That would require dealing
            with the wiring etc. on it as well as perhaps more complicated
            learning curves. I'm sure Alinco is good but I'd go with the Kenwood
            if I was going that route. I was just hoping to find a solution that
            is plug in and go.
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 2, 2007
              --- texasexpediter <K5LDB.Leo@...> wrote:

              > I was just hoping to find a solution that is plug
              > in and go.

              That is exactly the niche that the RTrak was created
              to fill. Plug and play.

              I have been checking into 35W Mirage 2M amps. The
              typical price is $90 a unit. This would be what I
              would consider the best match with the RTrak.

            • texasexpediter
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, Jason Rausch <lists@...> wrote:

                > --- texasexpediter <K5LDB.Leo@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I was just hoping to find a solution that is plug
                > > in and go.
                >
                > That is exactly the niche that the RTrak was created
                > to fill. Plug and play.
                >
                > I have been checking into 35W Mirage 2M amps. The
                > typical price is $90 a unit. This would be what I
                > would consider the best match with the RTrak.
                >
                > Jason KE4NYV
                > RPC Electronics
                > www.rpc-electronics.com

                So if I got an rtrak, either with or without the Mirage, would I have
                to find out frequencies where I was driving or just set it and forget
                it? If you have to change the freq. all the time that partially
                defeats the purpose of plug it in and forget it. As is obviously
                apparent I know very little about this area.
              • Facility 406 DM09
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
                  The national 2m APRS is 144.39 MHz. Set it to that and leave it alone...

                  Kurt

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
                    --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Facility 406 DM09" <facility_406@...>
                    wrote:

                    > The national 2m APRS is 144.39 MHz. Set it to that and leave it
                    > alone...

                    We are working on some frequency schemes right now. There will be
                    either 4 or 8 frequency slots that will be user-definable. Either
                    way, we will ship the unit with 144.390 pre-loaded in the first
                    frequency slot. When you receive the unit, all that you have to do
                    is program the minimal settings: your callsign, path and beacon
                    comment. Plug it in and let it go!

                  • c0j
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 12, 2007
                      Another dumb question... I did a quick search in the archives, and couldn't see the answer.
                      Are you considering an internal power option?

                      Regards
                      de John
                      EI7IG
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 17, 2007
                        --- c0j <c0j_1999@...> wrote:

                        > Another dumb question... I did a quick search in the
                        > archives, and couldn't see the answer.
                        > Are you considering an internal power option?

                        John, the idea has come up and may be a feature in
                        some future RTrak version. If I was to include a
                        battery, it would be one of the new Lithium Polymer
                        batteries, with a built in LiPo charger that can
                        change the battery, while being powering from a +12V
                        source.

                        Maxim IC makes a single chip solution for LiPo
                        charging, so I am looking into doing somthing with
                        that down the road...long down the road.

                      • Jon
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 18, 2007
                          > > Another dumb question... I did a quick search in
                          > the
                          > > archives, and couldn't see the answer.
                          > > Are you considering an internal power option?
                          >
                          > John, the idea has come up and may be a feature in
                          > some future RTrak version. If I was to include a
                          > battery, it would be one of the new Lithium Polymer
                          > batteries, with a built in LiPo charger that can
                          > change the battery, while being powering from a +12V
                          > source.
                          Nice...

                          > Maxim IC makes a single chip solution for LiPo
                          > charging, so I am looking into doing somthing with
                          > that down the road...long down the road.
                          Ok cool...

                          For throwing in a pack.. it makes sense to have the
                          batteries part of the unit..

                          John