Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: My RTrak-HAB, not let me change frequency to 144 800 tx

Expand Messages
  • Jason R
    Scott et All, It always seems that I am sold out and never have any units left for my own use, but let me see if I have something I can send you for testing.
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5, 2013
      Scott et All,

      It always seems that I am sold out and never have any units left for my own use, but let me see if I have something I can send you for testing. I think it would be best to send you an RTrak-HAB, since that is the unit that most are using for dual-frequency operations.

      However, I can report that I did a test a couple of weeks ago with my test unit. I set it to beacon on 144.390 and then 144.790. Alternating back and fourth every beacon. I then set both up with two D7 handhelds on the respective frequencies. Upon power up, I could watch the unit switch back and fourth on every beacon, decoding them on the two D7 handhelds. My test showed that the dual-frequency function was working, but I have heard from too many people stating that it does NOT work to just assume that it does work 100%

      I need to set that back up and shoot a short video of it working. I might even do a short screen capture video showing how to set up the tracker in the configuration program.

      For those that want to at least read through the instructions, I have posted a special page on the website showing step by step how to set up dual frequency operation:

      http://www.rpc-electronics.com/rtrakdualfreqtutorial.php

      It is important to note that this function will NOT work if you have re-flashed your RTrak-HAB with the standard OpenTracker 1+ firmware. This firmware does not contain the frequency control code!

      Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
      RPC Electronics, LLC
      www.rpc-electronics.com


      --- In RTrak@yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
      >
      > If there's an actual firmware bug it would be on my end, but I haven't
      > touched the OT1+ code in a while. I can't find an RTRAK or other
      > OT1+/MX146 combination around here to test with, though I'm sure I must
      > have had one. If someone wants to send me one I can check it out.
      >
      > Scott
      > N1VG
      >
      > On 2/26/2013 1:30 PM, Jason KG4WSV wrote:
      > > On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM, jasonbunwin <jasonbunwin@...> wrote:
      > >> Have you fixed the bug yet?
      > >
      > >
      > > I haven't; I'm another Jason waiting for a fix. You want the other
      > > Jason who makes the RTrak.
      > >
      > > -Jason
      > > kg4wsv
      > >
      > >
      > > ------------------------------------
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >
      > >
      > >
      >
    • Jason KG4WSV
      ... The problem we have is that the unit will not transmit unless one of the frequencies in use is 144.390 (I haven t tried 144.39 as anything other than the
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5, 2013
        On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Jason R <lists@...> wrote:
        > However, I can report that I did a test a couple of weeks ago with my test unit. I set it to beacon on 144.390 and then 144.790. Alternating back and fourth every beacon. I then set both up with two D7 handhelds on the respective frequencies. Upon power up, I could watch the unit switch back and fourth on every beacon, decoding them on the two D7 handhelds. My test showed that the dual-frequency function was working, but I have heard from too many people stating that it does NOT work to just assume that it does work 100%

        The problem we have is that the unit will not transmit unless one of
        the frequencies in use is 144.390 (I haven't tried 144.39 as anything
        other than the first freq).

        I can beacon 9 times on 144.990 and once on 144.39, but I can't move
        entirely off 144.39. Ever.

        This is a problem for us as our primary tracker is on 144.39 at once a
        minute. We like to put the backups on a different frequency - to be
        friendly to 144.39, to get a quiet channel, and sometimes to use a
        higher rate, like 15s or 10s.

        I'd imagine the 144.39 thing could be a show stopper for our friends
        outside the US.

        We've got a flight coming up; if anything survives I can probably send
        you one of ours.


        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • Barry Sloan
        Jason (KE4NYV), Just wanted to let you know that we have used the dual freq option on several flights without a problem. Barry VE6SBS bear.sbszoo.com From:
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2013

          Jason (KE4NYV),

          Just wanted to let you know that we have used the dual freq option on several flights without a problem.

          Barry
          VE6SBS
          bear.sbszoo.com

          From: RTrak@yahoogroups.com [mailto:RTrak@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jason R
          Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:37 AM
          To: RTrak@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [RTrak] Re: My RTrak-HAB, not let me change frequency to 144 800 tx

           

           

          Scott et All,

          It always seems that I am sold out and never have any units left for my own use, but let me see if I have something I can send you for testing. I think it would be best to send you an RTrak-HAB, since that is the unit that most are using for dual-frequency operations.

          However, I can report that I did a test a couple of weeks ago with my test unit. I set it to beacon on 144.390 and then 144.790. Alternating back and fourth every beacon. I then set both up with two D7 handhelds on the respective frequencies. Upon power up, I could watch the unit switch back and fourth on every beacon, decoding them on the two D7 handhelds. My test showed that the dual-frequency function was working, but I have heard from too many people stating that it does NOT work to just assume that it does work 100%

          I need to set that back up and shoot a short video of it working. I might even do a short screen capture video showing how to set up the tracker in the configuration program.

          For those that want to at least read through the instructions, I have posted a special page on the website showing step by step how to set up dual frequency operation:

          http://www.rpc-electronics.com/rtrakdualfreqtutorial.php

          It is important to note that this function will NOT work if you have re-flashed your RTrak-HAB with the standard OpenTracker 1+ firmware. This firmware does not contain the frequency control code!

          Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
          RPC Electronics, LLC
          www.rpc-electronics.com

          --- In RTrak@yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller wrote:
          >
          > If there's an actual firmware bug it would be on my end, but I haven't
          > touched the OT1+ code in a while. I can't find an RTRAK or other
          > OT1+/MX146 combination around here to test with, though I'm sure I must
          > have had one. If someone wants to send me one I can check it out.
          >
          > Scott
          > N1VG
          >
          > On 2/26/2013 1:30 PM, Jason KG4WSV wrote:
          > > On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM, jasonbunwin wrote:
          > >> Have you fixed the bug yet?
          > >
          > >
          > > I haven't; I'm another Jason waiting for a fix. You want the other
          > > Jason who makes the RTrak.
          > >
          > > -Jason
          > > kg4wsv
          > >
          > >
          > > ------------------------------------
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >
          > >
          > >
          >

        • Scott Miller
          And if you change the primary frequency to something else it doesn t work? There shouldn t be anything special about 144.39. Maybe there s a glitch relating
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2013
            And if you change the primary frequency to something else it doesn't work?

            There shouldn't be anything special about 144.39. Maybe there's a
            glitch relating to use of that channel slot, but there's no significance
            to that frequency in the software.

            Scott

            On 3/5/2013 9:49 AM, Jason KG4WSV wrote:
            > On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Jason R <lists@...> wrote:
            >> However, I can report that I did a test a couple of weeks ago with my test unit. I set it to beacon on 144.390 and then 144.790. Alternating back and fourth every beacon. I then set both up with two D7 handhelds on the respective frequencies. Upon power up, I could watch the unit switch back and fourth on every beacon, decoding them on the two D7 handhelds. My test showed that the dual-frequency function was working, but I have heard from too many people stating that it does NOT work to just assume that it does work 100%
            >
            > The problem we have is that the unit will not transmit unless one of
            > the frequencies in use is 144.390 (I haven't tried 144.39 as anything
            > other than the first freq).
            >
            > I can beacon 9 times on 144.990 and once on 144.39, but I can't move
            > entirely off 144.39. Ever.
            >
            > This is a problem for us as our primary tracker is on 144.39 at once a
            > minute. We like to put the backups on a different frequency - to be
            > friendly to 144.39, to get a quiet channel, and sometimes to use a
            > higher rate, like 15s or 10s.
            >
            > I'd imagine the 144.39 thing could be a show stopper for our friends
            > outside the US.
            >
            > We've got a flight coming up; if anything survives I can probably send
            > you one of ours.
            >
            >
            > -Jason
            > kg4wsv
            >
            >
            > ------------------------------------
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >
            >
          • Jason KG4WSV
            ... Correct. ... I don t recall if I did any testing related to that. Since they re all configured for flight, I probably won t mess with them until after our
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2013
              On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
              > And if you change the primary frequency to something else it doesn't work?

              Correct.

              > There shouldn't be anything special about 144.39. Maybe there's a
              > glitch relating to use of that channel slot, but there's no significance
              > to that frequency in the software.

              I don't recall if I did any testing related to that.

              Since they're all configured for flight, I probably won't mess with
              them until after our flight in a few weeks.

              -Jason
              kg4wsv
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.