Re: [RTrak] Re: RTrak-HAB antenna thoughts

    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 6, 2012
      Ben KF7VZR (got that from a June 22 message) wrote...

      > My documentation says nothing about TX audio level...
      > They've both been played with...

      Deviation is important. If it's too high (within limits) nearby stations
      may still be able to decode the tones. Distant ones where your signal
      is weaker may not be able to. You have probably heard this on a voice
      repeater or even on simplex. A distant and noisy station can be copied
      via a repeater if he backs off from the mic. If he starts shouting, the
      deviation goes up. More energy is outside the passband of the receiver
      and eventually the signal is too noisy to copy or the squelch might
      even close. If you are simplex, you can try opening your squelch. If
      you are on a repeater, you're out of luck. It's the same with packet.
      You are better off having the deviation set properly. It can be done
      by ear, but a deviation meter or service monitor would be better.
      Lacking one, just crank the deviation all of the way up and then
      start turning it down. When it starts to sound quieter, turn it down
      some more. It will get you in the ballpark, but checking the actual
      deviation would be better.

      Perhaps you could check the actual deviation before you change
      anything. So... could over-deviation explain why only one iGate
      heard you?

      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 6, 2012