Re: [RTrak] Re: RTrak-HAB antenna thoughts

  • James Ewen
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 6, 2012
      On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM, airsix73 <ben.messinger@...> wrote:

      > I apologize if I come off as ignorant. I've been a ham for about 60 days or so
      > and barely know which way is up at this point.

      Being a newbie and in search of information is much better than being
      someone who thinks they know everything and won't listen to anyone
      else... We have a lot of the latter around.

      I've been reading and replying on the Blackberry so had limited access
      to the available data.

      Now with more information such as only a single i-gate heard and gated
      you, not just that no digipeaters acted upon the packet, we're on a
      different trail...

      As Jason has indicated, your "tweaking" of the TX level could be the
      culprit. Excessive deviation is the usual culprit for lack of receive
      by other stations. Be glad you got the data you did, and recovered the
      payload... put this knowledge in the brain bucket and move on to more
      experimenting.

      The usual culprit for "issues" like you initially reported is lack of
      understanding of the function of the APRS-IS.

      BTW, welcome to the hobby, and have fun climbing the learning curve.

      If you haven't already check out the GPSL reflector and APRSISCE/32 as a client.

      --
      James
      VE6SRV
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 6, 2012
        Ben KF7VZR (got that from a June 22 message) wrote...

        > My documentation says nothing about TX audio level...
        > They've both been played with...

        Deviation is important. If it's too high (within limits) nearby stations
        may still be able to decode the tones. Distant ones where your signal
        is weaker may not be able to. You have probably heard this on a voice
        repeater or even on simplex. A distant and noisy station can be copied
        via a repeater if he backs off from the mic. If he starts shouting, the
        deviation goes up. More energy is outside the passband of the receiver
        and eventually the signal is too noisy to copy or the squelch might
        even close. If you are simplex, you can try opening your squelch. If
        you are on a repeater, you're out of luck. It's the same with packet.
        You are better off having the deviation set properly. It can be done
        by ear, but a deviation meter or service monitor would be better.
        Lacking one, just crank the deviation all of the way up and then
        start turning it down. When it starts to sound quieter, turn it down
        some more. It will get you in the ballpark, but checking the actual
        deviation would be better.

        Perhaps you could check the actual deviation before you change
        anything. So... could over-deviation explain why only one iGate
        heard you?