Re: [RTrak] RTrak-HAB antenna thoughts

  • Tom Hayward
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 6, 2012
      On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      <ldeffenb@...> wrote:
      > No, he's basing that opinion on the fact that he and I were in an APRS QSO
      > while the balloon was in flight and there were numerous RF-enabled
      > APRSISCE/32 instances well within the balloon's footprint but his was the
      > ONLY station report ANY receptions of the balloon.
      >
      > In every other HAB I've monitored, even pre-APRSISCE/32's unfiltered RF
      > feed, at least a FEW packets would get far enough out to hit a delaying gate
      > and show up with a line or two. In this case, every single packet was gated
      > by his mobile IGate alone.

      I just checked the RF log at BALDI and dupe log on northwest.aprs2.net
      (where many of the region's igates connect), and KC7PUC-1 never made
      it into any of them either. Very odd, considering the footprint.

      It's nice being able to look these things up in RF logs! Of course my
      logs aren't nearly as omniscient as Lynn's.

      Tom KD7LXL
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 6, 2012
        Ben KF7VZR (got that from a June 22 message) wrote...

        > My documentation says nothing about TX audio level...
        > They've both been played with...

        Deviation is important. If it's too high (within limits) nearby stations
        may still be able to decode the tones. Distant ones where your signal
        is weaker may not be able to. You have probably heard this on a voice
        repeater or even on simplex. A distant and noisy station can be copied
        via a repeater if he backs off from the mic. If he starts shouting, the
        deviation goes up. More energy is outside the passband of the receiver
        and eventually the signal is too noisy to copy or the squelch might
        even close. If you are simplex, you can try opening your squelch. If
        you are on a repeater, you're out of luck. It's the same with packet.
        You are better off having the deviation set properly. It can be done
        by ear, but a deviation meter or service monitor would be better.
        Lacking one, just crank the deviation all of the way up and then
        start turning it down. When it starts to sound quieter, turn it down
        some more. It will get you in the ballpark, but checking the actual
        deviation would be better.

        Perhaps you could check the actual deviation before you change
        anything. So... could over-deviation explain why only one iGate
        heard you?