Re: [RTrak] RTrak-HAB antenna thoughts

  • Tom Hayward
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 6, 2012
      On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Mark Conner <n9xtn@...> wrote:

      > If you look at the raw data:
      >
      > http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KC7PUC-1&limit=300&view=normal
      >
      > not only were there no digipeaters shown as digipeating the balloon, but
      > only one I-gate received it. A "duh" question for me - was the balloon on
      > 144.39 or some other frequency?

      That's raw APRS-IS data, not raw RF data. Digipeaters operate on RF,
      so that data doesn't tell you anything about what digipeaters may or
      may not have responded to the balloon's packets.

      Tom KD7LXL
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 6, 2012
        Ben KF7VZR (got that from a June 22 message) wrote...

        > My documentation says nothing about TX audio level...
        > They've both been played with...

        Deviation is important. If it's too high (within limits) nearby stations
        may still be able to decode the tones. Distant ones where your signal
        is weaker may not be able to. You have probably heard this on a voice
        repeater or even on simplex. A distant and noisy station can be copied
        via a repeater if he backs off from the mic. If he starts shouting, the
        deviation goes up. More energy is outside the passband of the receiver
        and eventually the signal is too noisy to copy or the squelch might
        even close. If you are simplex, you can try opening your squelch. If
        you are on a repeater, you're out of luck. It's the same with packet.
        You are better off having the deviation set properly. It can be done
        by ear, but a deviation meter or service monitor would be better.
        Lacking one, just crank the deviation all of the way up and then
        start turning it down. When it starts to sound quieter, turn it down
        some more. It will get you in the ballpark, but checking the actual
        deviation would be better.

        Perhaps you could check the actual deviation before you change
        anything. So... could over-deviation explain why only one iGate
        heard you?