Re: RTrak-HAB antenna thoughts

  • airsix73
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 6, 2012
      Thanks James & Jason,
      Here is a cut and paste of a packet (pulled from aprs.fi)

      2012-09-01 18:32:09 UTC: KC7PUC-1>APOTC1,WIDE2-1,qAR,KF7VZR-1:!4632.56N/11931.92WO322/019/A=124524 07.4 13C M&M Space Prog.

      So "WIDE2-1" should have been a good 1-hop path, right? Thank you for correcting me on that as well as the repeater/digipeater slip up. I did notice right from the get-go aprs.fi was flagging it with a path warning due to the path/altitude combination (even at very low altitude). Are digipeaters filtering out packets they think have a bad path?

      Regarding the doughnut hole: Tried moving the antenna to the side of the vehicle to no effect and it was a van with about a 4ft square door (good ground plane). Perhaps we just never got the vehicle oriented properly in relation to the balloon.

      Ben

      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 6, 2012
        Ben KF7VZR (got that from a June 22 message) wrote...

        > My documentation says nothing about TX audio level...
        > They've both been played with...

        Deviation is important. If it's too high (within limits) nearby stations
        may still be able to decode the tones. Distant ones where your signal
        is weaker may not be able to. You have probably heard this on a voice
        repeater or even on simplex. A distant and noisy station can be copied
        via a repeater if he backs off from the mic. If he starts shouting, the
        deviation goes up. More energy is outside the passband of the receiver
        and eventually the signal is too noisy to copy or the squelch might
        even close. If you are simplex, you can try opening your squelch. If
        you are on a repeater, you're out of luck. It's the same with packet.
        You are better off having the deviation set properly. It can be done
        by ear, but a deviation meter or service monitor would be better.
        Lacking one, just crank the deviation all of the way up and then
        start turning it down. When it starts to sound quieter, turn it down
        some more. It will get you in the ballpark, but checking the actual
        deviation would be better.

        Perhaps you could check the actual deviation before you change
        anything. So... could over-deviation explain why only one iGate
        heard you?