Re: Config Program won't connect

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2011
      Are both RTrak programming setups identical? In other words, are both units no longer installed in different capsules with different antennas attached? Or did you either replace the antenna with a SMA dummy load or remove the MX146 transmitter module, at least while trying to program the unit having a problem? I have occasionally seen RF from the transmitter affect the serial connection and, while the transmitter isn't active while programming a unit, it usually transmits 1 quick burst when the RTrak is powered on which can affect things and prevent further serial communication.

      Barry VE6SBS
      bear.sbszoo.com

      --- In RTrak@yahoogroups.com, "n0mpm" <morgamp52@...> wrote:

      > I have two RTRAK-HAB's. One of them works great and have had a flawless flight. The second one is giving me fits. When I first received the modules, I was able to configure each one via the serial port. Today I tried to reconfigure with no luck. The RTRAK will not connect to my serial port. I know all is well on my end since I still can connect to my other RTRAK...
      >
      > The RTRAK will capture GPS OK and will send out APRS strings just fine, but per an old config. I just cannot talk to it in order to change settings.
      >
      > Any Ideas???
      >
      > Mike N0MPM
      > Pella Explores Near Space
      > Hosting 2013 GPSL

    • n0mpm
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2011
        I have tried a dozen things to assure rf isn't the problem...but I did remove the SRB MX146 module a few times between when I first configured the RTRAK and now when I cannot make the serial connection. Is that an issue??
        mike
        n0mpm

        --- In RTrak@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <bs@...> wrote:

        > Are both RTrak programming setups identical? In other words, are both units no longer installed in different capsules with different antennas attached? Or did you either replace the antenna with a SMA dummy load or remove the MX146 transmitter module, at least while trying to program the unit having a problem? I have occasionally seen RF from the transmitter affect the serial connection and, while the transmitter isn't active while programming a unit, it usually transmits 1 quick burst when the RTrak is powered on which can affect things and prevent further serial communication.
        >
        > Barry VE6SBS
        > bear.sbszoo.com
        >
        > --- In RTrak@yahoogroups.com, "n0mpm" <morgamp52@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have two RTRAK-HAB's. One of them works great and have had a flawless flight. The second one is giving me fits. When I first received the modules, I was able to configure each one via the serial port. Today I tried to reconfigure with no luck. The RTRAK will not connect to my serial port. I know all is well on my end since I still can connect to my other RTRAK...
        > >
        > > The RTRAK will capture GPS OK and will send out APRS strings just fine, but per an old config. I just cannot talk to it in order to change settings.
        > >
        > > Any Ideas???
        > >
        > > Mike N0MPM
        > > Pella Explores Near Space
        > > Hosting 2013 GPSL

      • Barry Sloan
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 2011

          There’s no problem removing the MX146 and operating the tracker without it and have done so countless times while helping Jason finalize his design (as long as you don’t remove or insert it while the RTrak is powered of course, although even then I doubt the chances of damaging the MX146 are very great). As to the problem, there’s no components involved with the serial data while programming that aren’t involved with the GPS data during normal operation so I’m guessing the RTrak is fine.

          But 0 & 5V are not valid RS-232 data levels which are plus and minus 3 to 25V and the only reason why many PC serial ports work with 0-5V data is that they don’t have true RS-232 receivers. I’ve never yet had a PC with a serial port that would work with 0-5V data and in the past have always had to use a RS-232 transceiver chip to convert between RS-232 and 0-5V data levels, but now with USB being so popular use a USB chip to provide 0-5V data. Anyway, the only thing that I can think of at this point that may be the problem, is that the data levels from the failing RTrak are slightly different than from the other one and just enough that your serial port is having a problem with them. If you haven’t tried using a different PC to program both units yet, I would give that a try (as a desperate last hope that a different serial port may work) and if you get the exact same results I would contact Jason and see if he’ll let you exchange your failed unit for another one.

          Barry - VE6SBS