RTrac

  • jager43_2000
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 26, 2007
      when will this be in the store?
    • Jason
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 2007
        We plan to offer it for sale by mid-December. We will announce here
        as soon as it is ready.

        Thanks!

        --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "jager43_2000" <kd7ytj@...> wrote:

        > when will this be in the store?
      • Facility 406 DM09
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 28, 2007
          "$75.00 + Shipping --- Part #RMX146"

          That leaves me out. For a module at this price I'd like to see 3 - 5W
          output and about 40 MHz of frequency agility, even if only available in
          blocks a few MHz wide, for example, 136 - 144, 144 - 148, 148 - 160 and
          160 - 174 Mhz...

          Perhaps they will drop in price when mass produced?

          Kurt
        • Jason
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 28, 2007
            --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Facility 406 DM09" <facility_406@...>
            wrote:

            > "$75.00 + Shipping --- Part #RMX146"
            >
            > That leaves me out. For a module at this price I'd like to see 3
            - 5W

            I understand, but this does bring up the age old argument of
            transmitting "in the blind". The MX-146 is only a transmitter, not a
            transceiver. The major complaint is transmitting at will, not
            knowing if the channel is already in use and possible clobbering
            someone else.

            When you are under a watt, this is more acceptable because there is a
            good chance that you will lose the battle with the other tracker.
            That is, unless you are both at the same power, then it's an equal
            fight :o)

            As for the actual price, the truth is, you just cannot produce a
            frequency-agile module like this for much less. My profit margin is
            actually very small and that is why I strive to develop products that
            contain it, with a ready to go use. However, I will gladly offer it
            on the website by it'self, for anyone who wishes to buy one.

            > output and about 40 MHz of frequency agility, even if only
            available in
            > blocks a few MHz wide, for example, 136 - 144, 144 - 148, 148 -
            160 and
            > 160 - 174 Mhz...

            I will talk with the guys at SRB and see if we can get the range
            expanded. There may have to be two versions for legal reasons. One
            that is strictly in the 2M range, as well as an expanded CAP/MARS
            version. I will check into this and get back to you. One of the SRB
            guys may be on this list and answer quicker than I can ask them.

            > Perhaps they will drop in price when mass produced?

            That is the idea. The problem is, the module will literally have to
            be produce by the 1000 to get any significant price reduction. We're
            keeping our fingers crossed.

            Thanks!
          • Facility 406 DM09
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 28, 2007
              Think high power (relatively) single channel telemetry transmitter, not just
              an APRS unit designed to get stepped on by the other units to not hurt
              someone elses feelings. There many, many more frequencies and applications
              than APRS for a good TX module.

              Kurt
            • Jason
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 29, 2007
                wrote:

                > Think high power (relatively) single channel telemetry
                > transmitter, not just an APRS unit...There many, many more
                > frequencies and applications than APRS for a good TX module.

                Point well taken, Kurt. This is a good example of where some kind of
                Mirage type amp would be useful. My other fear of adding the amp
                would increase the price about another $40-50. At almost $300 a
                unit, it's not very attractive to the average user anymore.

                Thank you for the input!

              • Jason KG4WSV
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 29, 2007
                  On Nov 29, 2007 4:50 PM, Jason <lists@...> wrote:
                  My other fear of adding the amp
                  would increase the price about another $40-50.  At almost $300 a
                  unit, it's not very attractive to the average user anymore.

                  could be, especially for the typical (cheap) ham, but don't discount the attractiveness/utility of a single package solution.  I really like the idea of a transmitter with a microcontroller interface.

                  -Jason
                  kg4wsv
                • Jason
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 2, 2007
                    --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Jason KG4WSV" <kg4wsv@...> wrote:

                    > could be, especially for the typical (cheap) ham, but don't
                    discount the
                    > attractiveness/utility of a single package solution. I really like
                    the idea
                    > of a transmitter with a microcontroller interface.

                    Thanks Jason. Obviously, we saw a need for an all in one package
                    that could be set up in a minimal ammount of time and trouble. We
                    did'nt want to simple take off the shelf parts and stuff them in a
                    Pelican case. We felt there was a better way to incorporate
                    everything into a small, lightweight, durable package and that became
                    the RTrak.

                    Thanks!