OT1+ update for first gen units - did anything ever come of this?

  • KC7HP
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2011
      I am cleaning up some ancient saved discussion into my personal notes for RTrak. I am wondering if anything came of this intended update. Maybe I missed the announcement?

      thanks, hugh
      KC7HP

      2b. Re: new user update
      Posted by: "Jason Rausch" lists@... ke4nyv
      Date: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:20 pm ((PDT))

      Hugh,

      Sorry that I did not get to this post sooner. I am working as fast as I can to get the new RTrak-LP ready to ship out and many people are waiting on me.

      With the first generation RTrak, I noticed that the packets were significantly different sounding than the other on-air traffic. Although different, I did'nt notice much of a performance problem with it. I always felt that the OpenTracker and TinyTrak series of trackers had a bit of flatter, raspier sound to them, than say a Kantronics KPC-3. Not a big deal if they get the job done.

      Having said that, after looking into it more, it appears the OT1+ module used in the first gen. RTrak is not matched to the MX146 transmitter perfectly. This has to do with the audio matching circuit on the OT1+ module itself. This is not Scott's fault, rather just a general design that he settled on to match a majority of the radios out there. Since the MX146 is a new radio and I was starting blind from the ground up, there was some room for deviance.

      I am looking at modifying the OT1+ module with possible a different voltage divider ie. change some resistor values or possibly change out a transistor. Once I figure out a happy combination, I will offer any RTrak owner the chance to send their unit back to us for the modification. I will also offer up the mod online, but any mods done by a user cannot be warrantied by us. The mod will most likely require the removal and replacement of 0805 surface mount resistors and maybe a single SOT-23 size surface mount transistor.

      More info on this when I have it ready.

      Thanks!
      Jason KE4NYV
    • Dan Dawson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2011

        Posted by: "Jason Rausch" lists@... ke4nyv

        With the first generation RTrak, I noticed that the packets were significantly different sounding than the other on-air traffic.

        I am looking at modifying the OT1+ module with possible a different voltage divider ie. change some resistor values or possibly change out a transistor. Once I figure out a happy combination, I will offer any RTrak owner the chance to send their unit back to us for the modification.

        I would love to hear about this too!  I've got my RTrack that I bought in 2008 and it definitely sounds very different than other packets on air.

        I can receive and decode it's packets just fine with my TH-D7 at close range, but none of my packets reach iGates or Digis even though my TH-D7 on EL power reaches them with no problem.  I sent my RTrack back in once for repair, the TX Delay was adjusted and it still behaves exactly the same way as before, sounding funny and not getting picked up by other receivers.

        It sounds like the problem described in this post might be exactly what's going on, so if there is a chance for a fix/repair I would really be interested. My RTrack sits in it's box in the closet, and I'd sure rather be using it in my plane and car!

        --Dan Dawson, KI6ESH