Re:Byonics All-In-One

  • Craig Brammer
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2010
      I was also at Pacificon and dropped my $220 at Byonics. Had to leave
      some cash behind.. Mine is up and running, couldn't have been
      simplier. Plug into cigarette lighter and put mag mount on roof.
      Bingo, it works. I've already rewired it to be always on and hidden,
      just in case someone wants to borrow my wheels.

      craig brammer AE6AF
    • Bob Burns W9RXR
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2010
        At 07:11 PM 10/21/2010, Michael wrote:
        >Byonics was at Pacificon last weekend proudly displaying their
        >all-in-one system.

        I won't comment on RPC's issues. However, keep in mind that the
        Byonics Micro-Trak AIO is a transmit-only device. All it does is
        blindly transmit your position and it does not allow you to see
        what's going on in the APRS world around you. Also, as a
        transmit-only device, it can and will transmit on top of other APRS
        transmitters causing some interference and dropped packets.

        Byonics has done a great job marketing the AIO, but I think
        purchasers of this device are missing the bigger picture. APRS is not
        just for vehicle tracking.

        At 03:10 PM 11/4/2010, Craig Brammer wrote:
        >Mine is up and running, couldn't have been simplier. Plug into
        >cigarette lighter and put mag mount on roof. Bingo, it works. I've
        >already rewired it to be always on and hidden, just in case someone
        >wants to borrow my wheels.

        Yes, and it appears that you are beaconing at a rate of once every
        three minutes even when your vehicle is not moving. That's redundant
        information which just adds to the congestion on the APRS network. I
        believe that your AIO supports SmartBeaconing which will adjust your
        beacon rate depending on your speed. Do you have SmartBeaconing
        enabled and properly configured? A beacon rate of once every ten
        minutes while stationary varying up to once every two minutes at 60
        MPH is usually sufficient.

        Bob...
      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2010
          Watch for a new TT4 based AIO from Byonics. It receives, transmits, has
          a built in GPS, can digi, and, because it has a Bluetooth adapter
          connected to the computer COM port, you can connect to it from
          APRSISCE/32 or any other suitable software running on a
          bluetooth-capable host to provide a wireless IGate function. And the
          whole thing runs on 8 AA cells for a day or so.

          PS. This was announced at at least one hamfest, and I've received
          permission from them to confirm the upcoming product.

          Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:

          > At 07:11 PM 10/21/2010, Michael wrote:
          > >Byonics was at Pacificon last weekend proudly displaying their
          > >all-in-one system.
          >
          > I won't comment on RPC's issues. However, keep in mind that the
          > Byonics Micro-Trak AIO is a transmit-only device. All it does is
          > blindly transmit your position and it does not allow you to see
          > what's going on in the APRS world around you. Also, as a
          > transmit-only device, it can and will transmit on top of other APRS
          > transmitters causing some interference and dropped packets.
          >
          > Byonics has done a great job marketing the AIO, but I think
          > purchasers of this device are missing the bigger picture. APRS is not
          > just for vehicle tracking.
          >
          > At 03:10 PM 11/4/2010, Craig Brammer wrote:
          > >Mine is up and running, couldn't have been simplier. Plug into
          > >cigarette lighter and put mag mount on roof. Bingo, it works. I've
          > >already rewired it to be always on and hidden, just in case someone
          > >wants to borrow my wheels.
          >
          > Yes, and it appears that you are beaconing at a rate of once every
          > three minutes even when your vehicle is not moving. That's redundant
          > information which just adds to the congestion on the APRS network. I
          > believe that your AIO supports SmartBeaconing which will adjust your
          > beacon rate depending on your speed. Do you have SmartBeaconing
          > enabled and properly configured? A beacon rate of once every ten
          > minutes while stationary varying up to once every two minutes at 60
          > MPH is usually sufficient.
          >
          > Bob...

        • Jason R
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 7, 2010
            Wow, maybe I need to change this forum's name to Byonics MicroTrak.

            As much as I understand they are my competition and everyone is entitled to their opinion on whether our products are not as good, I would ask that the discussions in this forum stays on topic with the RTrak. If you feel the need to talk about how much you like the MicroTrak products, please do so on THEIR forum.

            Thank You,

            Jason KE4NYV
            RPC Electronics, LLC
            www.rpc-elctronics.com