Byonics All-In-One

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2010
      For five months I have sent emails to RPC inquiring about RTrak availability. For months I have not had a response. Byonics was at Pacificon last weekend proudly displaying their all-in-one system. Folks, including myself, snatched them up at $200. I've read many postings from frustrated members of this Group who have ordered their RTraks but haven't heard from RPC. The rest of you who are considering all-in-one systems might want to check out Byonic's site. I haven't set it up yet, but will provide a report as soon as I am up and running.
    • Craig Brammer
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2010
        I was also at Pacificon and dropped my $220 at Byonics. Had to leave
        some cash behind.. Mine is up and running, couldn't have been
        simplier. Plug into cigarette lighter and put mag mount on roof.
        Bingo, it works. I've already rewired it to be always on and hidden,
        just in case someone wants to borrow my wheels.

        craig brammer AE6AF
      • Bob Burns W9RXR
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2010
          At 07:11 PM 10/21/2010, Michael wrote:
          >Byonics was at Pacificon last weekend proudly displaying their
          >all-in-one system.

          I won't comment on RPC's issues. However, keep in mind that the
          Byonics Micro-Trak AIO is a transmit-only device. All it does is
          blindly transmit your position and it does not allow you to see
          what's going on in the APRS world around you. Also, as a
          transmit-only device, it can and will transmit on top of other APRS
          transmitters causing some interference and dropped packets.

          Byonics has done a great job marketing the AIO, but I think
          purchasers of this device are missing the bigger picture. APRS is not
          just for vehicle tracking.

          At 03:10 PM 11/4/2010, Craig Brammer wrote:
          >Mine is up and running, couldn't have been simplier. Plug into
          >cigarette lighter and put mag mount on roof. Bingo, it works. I've
          >already rewired it to be always on and hidden, just in case someone
          >wants to borrow my wheels.

          Yes, and it appears that you are beaconing at a rate of once every
          three minutes even when your vehicle is not moving. That's redundant
          information which just adds to the congestion on the APRS network. I
          believe that your AIO supports SmartBeaconing which will adjust your
          beacon rate depending on your speed. Do you have SmartBeaconing
          enabled and properly configured? A beacon rate of once every ten
          minutes while stationary varying up to once every two minutes at 60
          MPH is usually sufficient.

          Bob...
        • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 7, 2010
            Watch for a new TT4 based AIO from Byonics. It receives, transmits, has
            a built in GPS, can digi, and, because it has a Bluetooth adapter
            connected to the computer COM port, you can connect to it from
            APRSISCE/32 or any other suitable software running on a
            bluetooth-capable host to provide a wireless IGate function. And the
            whole thing runs on 8 AA cells for a day or so.

            PS. This was announced at at least one hamfest, and I've received
            permission from them to confirm the upcoming product.

            Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:

            > At 07:11 PM 10/21/2010, Michael wrote:
            > >Byonics was at Pacificon last weekend proudly displaying their
            > >all-in-one system.
            >
            > I won't comment on RPC's issues. However, keep in mind that the
            > Byonics Micro-Trak AIO is a transmit-only device. All it does is
            > blindly transmit your position and it does not allow you to see
            > what's going on in the APRS world around you. Also, as a
            > transmit-only device, it can and will transmit on top of other APRS
            > transmitters causing some interference and dropped packets.
            >
            > Byonics has done a great job marketing the AIO, but I think
            > purchasers of this device are missing the bigger picture. APRS is not
            > just for vehicle tracking.
            >
            > At 03:10 PM 11/4/2010, Craig Brammer wrote:
            > >Mine is up and running, couldn't have been simplier. Plug into
            > >cigarette lighter and put mag mount on roof. Bingo, it works. I've
            > >already rewired it to be always on and hidden, just in case someone
            > >wants to borrow my wheels.
            >
            > Yes, and it appears that you are beaconing at a rate of once every
            > three minutes even when your vehicle is not moving. That's redundant
            > information which just adds to the congestion on the APRS network. I
            > believe that your AIO supports SmartBeaconing which will adjust your
            > beacon rate depending on your speed. Do you have SmartBeaconing
            > enabled and properly configured? A beacon rate of once every ten
            > minutes while stationary varying up to once every two minutes at 60
            > MPH is usually sufficient.
            >
            > Bob...

          • Jason R
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2010
              Wow, maybe I need to change this forum's name to Byonics MicroTrak.

              As much as I understand they are my competition and everyone is entitled to their opinion on whether our products are not as good, I would ask that the discussions in this forum stays on topic with the RTrak. If you feel the need to talk about how much you like the MicroTrak products, please do so on THEIR forum.

              Thank You,

              Jason KE4NYV
              RPC Electronics, LLC
              www.rpc-elctronics.com