Re: [RTrak] new user update

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2009
      Hugh AA0HP wrote...

      > I answered my own question on the previous post about LED operation by
      > "discovering" the OpenTracker documentation (as opposed to the RTrak
      > User Guide).

      I'm glad to hear that you found the OT documentation. That will help.

      > I have been monitoring output of RTrak with a HT set on the same
      > tabletop (path = 3 feet). I pick up other APRS traffic with a certain
      > volume and "modem burst" sound (several flavors) but notice the RTrak
      > signal is noticably fainter and flatter-sounding. I am guessing the
      > lower volume is due to low output power through Smiley "half wave" 2m
      > antenna currently installed. I will look for a set-up to verify
      > quality of the signal though. I am still not showing up on the several
      > APRS tracking websites I check after testing.

      The "loudness" of an FM signal is a function of the deviation... nothing
      to do with signal strength or gain of different antennas. It is possible
      that the deviation is low in your RTrak, but the vast majority of "bad"
      tones that you hear on the air will be from devices that have the
      deviation up way too high.

      Having another TNC to watch your RTrak transmissions would be a real
      asset. If the transmit delay was too short, that could prevent other
      TNCs from decoding your beacons. However, I've used very shorot TXDelay
      in an RTrak and OTs and still had good results.

      Not showing up on the APRS-IS could also just be a function of your
      location, the half a watt that the RTrak puts out, the antenna you are
      using, and proximity to digis and IGates around you... and the
      proliferation of much higher powered trackers competing for air time.

      You really need to find out if anything at all can decode your
      transmissions and go from there.