Re: new user update

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2009
      Hugh,

      Sorry that I did not get to this post sooner. I am working as fast as I can to get the new RTrak-LP ready to ship out and many people are waiting on me.

      With the first generation RTrak, I noticed that the packets were significantly different sounding than the other on-air traffic. Although different, I did'nt notice much of a performance problem with it. I always felt that the OpenTracker and TinyTrak series of trackers had a bit of flatter, raspier sound to them, than say a Kantronics KPC-3. Not a big deal if they get the job done.

      Having said that, after looking into it more, it appears the OT1+ module used in the first gen. RTrak is not matched to the MX146 transmitter perfectly. This has to do with the audio matching circuit on the OT1+ module itself. This is not Scott's fault, rather just a general design that he settled on to match a majority of the radios out there. Since the MX146 is a new radio and I was starting blind from the ground up, there was some room for deviance.

      I am looking at modifying the OT1+ module with possible a different voltage divider ie. change some resistor values or possibly change out a transistor. Once I figure out a happy combination, I will offer any RTrak owner the chance to send their unit back to us for the modification. I will also offer up the mod online, but any mods done by a user cannot be warrantied by us. The mod will most likely require the removal and replacement of 0805 surface mount resistors and maybe a single SOT-23 size surface mount transistor.

      More info on this when I have it ready.

      Thanks!
      www.rpc-electronics.om

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 23, 2009
        Hugh AA0HP wrote...

        > I answered my own question on the previous post about LED operation by
        > "discovering" the OpenTracker documentation (as opposed to the RTrak
        > User Guide).

        I'm glad to hear that you found the OT documentation. That will help.

        > I have been monitoring output of RTrak with a HT set on the same
        > tabletop (path = 3 feet). I pick up other APRS traffic with a certain
        > volume and "modem burst" sound (several flavors) but notice the RTrak
        > signal is noticably fainter and flatter-sounding. I am guessing the
        > lower volume is due to low output power through Smiley "half wave" 2m
        > antenna currently installed. I will look for a set-up to verify
        > quality of the signal though. I am still not showing up on the several
        > APRS tracking websites I check after testing.

        The "loudness" of an FM signal is a function of the deviation... nothing
        to do with signal strength or gain of different antennas. It is possible
        that the deviation is low in your RTrak, but the vast majority of "bad"
        tones that you hear on the air will be from devices that have the
        deviation up way too high.

        Having another TNC to watch your RTrak transmissions would be a real
        asset. If the transmit delay was too short, that could prevent other
        TNCs from decoding your beacons. However, I've used very shorot TXDelay
        in an RTrak and OTs and still had good results.

        Not showing up on the APRS-IS could also just be a function of your
        location, the half a watt that the RTrak puts out, the antenna you are
        using, and proximity to digis and IGates around you... and the
        proliferation of much higher powered trackers competing for air time.

        You really need to find out if anything at all can decode your
        transmissions and go from there.