Re: [rtrak] RTrak Update

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 17, 2007
      --- Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:

      > How does the GPS behave above 60k' (or 20km or
      > whatever the altitude
      > is where most of 'em go stupid)?

      The Copernicus module manual is very vauge, but
      according to Trimble, it's good over 60K.

      I would love to get one on a balloon to test this and
      verify it!

      That brings up another point. I might offer the RTrak
      without a case for the high alt. guys. Reduce weight
      and price by about $10 a unit. All depends on demand.

    • vk1nut
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 17, 2007
        1. The 8 pos rotary switch is a good idea, access from the outside
        through a hole with a screen print giving indication of the 8
        positions could be handy.This means there would not be any need to
        open the case to change frequencies.
        2. Are the frequencies going to be fully defined by the user (user
        can define any freq within the hardware limits of the Transceiver?)
        Or is it going to be limited to what frequencies are hard coded?
        If they are hard coded, what will be the frequencies?

        Thanks
        Glenn -vk1nut

        --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <lists@...> wrote:

        > Please check the "Photos" section of the group. There is a new
        > folder called "RTrak V 1.6" and it contains pictures of the latest
        > RTrak board, including the first case that I hand milled for
        > testing. Be gentle, that milling was done with a hand drill and
        it
        > was a bit off. The milled end plates will be done by a
        professional
        > shop and will fit just right.
        >
        > This version contains a not-yet available, enhanced version of the
        > SMT OpenTracker 1+. This version is 28 pins and contains SPI
        lines
        > to control the MX-146 transmitter. Scott had the foresight
        to "add"
        > the additonal pins to the bottom of the pin rows, on the module,
        > allowing for the original 24 pin module to still be used. All
        RTraks
        > will ship with this new 28 pin version.
        >
        > You will also see a 16 position HEX rotary switch in the top right
        > corner of the board. This will be used for frequency selection.
        The
        > proposed method is to have a frequency table in the OpenTracker
        > config software that can hold up to eight frequencies. Any of
        these
        > eight will be selectable by choosing between positions 0 and 8.
        This
        > will be used for single frequency beaconing. When selecting
        > positions 9 through F, you can select one of the first eight, as
        well
        > as a pre-determined secondary frequency for dual frequency
        > beaconing. Using this method will allow you to switch between
        these
        > two modes easily, without the need of a computer to change.
        Please,

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 17, 2007
          --- vk1nut <vk1nut@...> wrote:

          > 1. The 8 pos rotary switch is a good idea, access
          > from the outside
          > through a hole with a screen print giving indication
          > of the 8
          > positions could be handy.This means there would not
          > be any need to
          > open the case to change frequencies.

          This is one concern and it kind of goes against my
          original design concept. Obviously, the unit is no
          way water proof, but it could be semi-weatherproof
          with as little holes as possible. That is the main
          reason I did not want to add any other holes to the
          case.

          > 2. Are the frequencies going to be fully defined by
          > the user (user
          > can define any freq within the hardware limits of
          > the Transceiver?)

          The frequencies will be fully defined by the end user.
          The plan is to have an 8 row table in the config
          software. This is where the user can type in any 8
          frequencies, that fall within the transmitter's range.

        • trevorhardisty
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 17, 2007
            --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <lists@...> wrote:

            > Please check the "Photos" section of the group. There is a new
            > folder called "RTrak V 1.6" and it contains pictures of the latest
            > RTrak board, including the first case that I hand milled for
            > testing. Be gentle, that milling was done with a hand drill and it
            > was a bit off. The milled end plates will be done by a professional
            > shop and will fit just right.

            Looks good

            > This version contains a not-yet available, enhanced version of the
            > SMT OpenTracker 1+. This version is 28 pins and contains SPI lines
            > to control the MX-146 transmitter. Scott had the foresight to "add"
            > the additonal pins to the bottom of the pin rows, on the module,
            > allowing for the original 24 pin module to still be used. All RTraks
            > will ship with this new 28 pin version.
            >
            > You will also see a 16 position HEX rotary switch in the top right
            > corner of the board. This will be used for frequency selection. The
            > proposed method is to have a frequency table in the OpenTracker
            > config software that can hold up to eight frequencies. Any of these
            > eight will be selectable by choosing between positions 0 and 8. This
            > will be used for single frequency beaconing. When selecting
            > positions 9 through F, you can select one of the first eight, as well
            > as a pre-determined secondary frequency for dual frequency
            > beaconing. Using this method will allow you to switch between these
            > two modes easily, without the need of a computer to change. Please,
            > share your comments on this.
            >
            > Last, there is a 5th picture in the folder that shows a Pelican case
            > that has been "plucked" to hold a RTrak, GPS antenna, power cable and
            > programming cable. I would like to hear if there is any interest in
            > these cases. If there is enough demand, I will offer these as an
            > extra accessory to the RTrak package, pre "plucked" of course!

            good idea, price?

            > Now, to answer the main question! "How much is it?" We have settled
            > on a price of $250 per unit. This will include, the RTrak (with
            > case), GPS patch antenna, lighter power cable, programming cable and
            > manual. After much comparison with other similar devices and number
            > crunching, this is the price that we have decided on. We compared
            > mostly with the frequency agile MicroTrak, which is $220. The
            > MicroTrak is nice, but it does not include a built-in GPS, case,
            > cables or even the DB9 to connect a GPS. We feel that with our
            > price, you are getting much more for the dollar.
            >
            > Comments? Suggestions? Complaints?

            Price sounds good to me, when will it be available?

            > Thank you very much for all of the input on and off of this SIG!
            >
            > Jason KE4NYV
            > RPC Electronics
            > www.rpc-electronics.com

            Trevor
          • Jason
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 28, 2007
              --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "vk1nut" <vk1nut@...> wrote:

              > 1. The 8 pos rotary switch is a good idea, access from the outside
              > through a hole with a screen print giving indication of the 8
              > positions could be handy.This means there would not be any need to
              > open the case to change frequencies.

              Glenn, I have given this some more thought and I think I am going to
              stick with not drilling the hole before the unit ships, but I am
              going to have instructions on the website, along with dimensions to
              allow the end user to drill the hole themselves.

              Thanks!
            • Michael Crowder
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 29, 2007
                Will the $250 include the nice carrying case as well?

                --
                Michael
                KB4LFH

                --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <lists@...> wrote:

                > Now, to answer the main question! "How much is it?" We have settled
                > on a price of $250 per unit. This will include, the RTrak (with
                > case), GPS patch antenna, lighter power cable, programming cable and
                > manual.
              • Jason
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 29, 2007
                  --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Crowder" <sonex293@...> wrote:

                  > Will the $250 include the nice carrying case as well?

                  No, I can't quite get them that cheap. I will however pre "pluck"
                  the foam so that your RTrak kit will fit right out of the box. The
                  target price on the Pelican case is about $35 each.

                  Thanks!