Serial programming cable

  • ad8bc
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 2009
      Well, it had to happen. I misplaced my R-trak programming cable. Does anybody have the schematic/pinout for it? Is there a RS-232/TTL converter that I will need to build?

      Thanks,

      Bill AD8BC
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20, 2009
        Bill AD8BC wrote...

        > Well, it had to happen. I misplaced my R-trak programming cable. Does
        > anybody have the schematic/pinout for it? Is there a RS-232/TTL
        > converter that I will need to build?

        I don't seem to be able to find my cable either, but there's nothing
        special in the cable... 5, 2 and 3 on the DE-9, and 5 is ground. It will
        go to the sleeve on the RTrak end. If you use trial-and-error to figure
        out the other two, you can't hurt anything. It will either work or it
        won't.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 21, 2009
          Keith pretty much answered the question, but the major points are:

          - Use a 3/32" (2.5mm) stereo plug
          - Sheild is ground
          - Tip and ring are TXD and RXD, but I can't remember which is which

          Like Keith suggested, simply try it one way and then swap if it doesn't work. Process of elimination :o)

          Just to let everyone know, I am about 99% packed for a move to a new home. I took a new job with NASA and we are moving about 3 hours away. Once we can get moved in and set back up, we will resume with order shipping, especially the current RTrak orders in que. Any move is a pain, but we are looking forward to getting there and getting back "in the norm".

          Regardless, we still plan to be at Dayton and look forward to seeing everyone.

          Thanks!

          --- In RTrak@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

          > Bill AD8BC wrote...
          >
          > > Well, it had to happen. I misplaced my R-trak programming cable. Does
          > > anybody have the schematic/pinout for it? Is there a RS-232/TTL
          > > converter that I will need to build?
          >
          > I don't seem to be able to find my cable either, but there's nothing
          > special in the cable... 5, 2 and 3 on the DE-9, and 5 is ground. It will
          > go to the sleeve on the RTrak end. If you use trial-and-error to figure
          > out the other two, you can't hurt anything. It will either work or it
          > won't.
          >
          > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          > --

        • ad8bc
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 22, 2009
            Thanks Jason, be safe in your move! Look forward to seeing you in Dayton!