Motorcycle mount

  • Hugh Poling
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2009
      Just a note to say I am planning to mount my RTrack in the small afterseat compartment on my BMW R75S. Since this is a *fairly* protected spot, I will probably end up making a small outdoor-fabric pouch as rainsuit protection against the odd splash while keeping it easy to redeploy for "pedistrian mobile".

      Another mission was to place it on a friend's boat, where I was was going to use one of those snap-lid waterproof food-storage boxes as protection from direct water splashing. Unfortunately, the boat will be laid up for awhile getting a new deck so no joy there. Interesting part of planning the install was exercising 4NEC2 to ensure an antenna design that would be reasonably omni-directional in the presence of tall aluminum mast and nearby stainless steel railing. Final design is a vertical dipole with two bottom radiators. Lengths tuned to adjust resonant frequency in that particular environment and angle of bottom radiators adjusted to get target feedpoint impedance. Main point of saying this is that a "stock" antenna would have been compromised by nearby conductors and modeling provides insight how to compensate.

      cheers, hugh
      AA0HP Seattle

      Posted by: "Paul Guido" radioteacher@... n5iut
      Date: Wed Mar 4, 2009 1:09 pm ((PST))

      Nice Article in QST. I have been looking for a self contained tracker
      like this for my motorcycle.

      How can I water proof the unit?

      Sign up for FREE email from PRAISE 106.5 at http://www.praise1065.com/

      A ministry of CRISTA http://www.crista.org/