Delighted with the Rtrak

  • Steven Roberts
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2008
      HI folks...

      I have not posted to this list before; have just been lurking since
      buying my Rtrak. Thought I'd just make a quick comment of
      appreciation for a nice unit - I finally installed it in my sailboat
      (http://www.nomadness.com/blog) a couple weeks ago, and have been
      getting surprisingly good performance in what I thought would be
      marginal coverage area. The antenna is just an eBay quarter-wave
      magmount on the steel deck.

      It's been fun getting comments from folks out of the blue, friends
      can keep an eye on my without waiting for blog postings, and the
      aprs.fi page shows a beautiful track. Thanks for the nicely
      integrated product!

      Cheers and 73,
      Steve
      N4RVE

      http://microship.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 11, 2008
        Steve,

        Thanks for checking in and letting us know how the
        maritime RTrak is working! I did'nt catch where you
        are sailing primarily, but if you are ever on the east
        coast, pull into Virginia Beach and say hi ;o)

        I checked your blog for details or pictures, but I
        did'nt see any. If you have some time, please take a
        few snapshots of your setup and post them in the group
        or send them to mail via email. I would love to see
        them.

        That goes for anyone on the list. If you have
        pictures of your RTrak in action, please share them.
        I would like to start a customer's photo gallery on
        the site once I have some collected pictures to post.

        Thanks!

        --- Steven Roberts <wordy@...> wrote:

        > HI folks...
        >
        > I have not posted to this list before; have just
        > been lurking since
        > buying my Rtrak. Thought I'd just make a quick
        > comment of
        > appreciation for a nice unit - I finally installed
        > it in my sailboat
        > (http://www.nomadness.com/blog) a couple weeks ago,
        > and have been
        > getting surprisingly good performance in what I
        > thought would be
        > marginal coverage area. The antenna is just an eBay
        > quarter-wave
        > magmount on the steel deck.
        >
        > It's been fun getting comments from folks out of the
        > blue, friends
        > can keep an eye on my without waiting for blog
        > postings, and the
        > aprs.fi page shows a beautiful track. Thanks for
        > the nicely
        > integrated product!
        >
        > Cheers and 73,
        > Steve
        > N4RVE
        >
        > http://microship.com

      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 11, 2008
          If anyone (especially Steve) is interested in what Digis and/or IGates heard his boat's tracker, check out M-N4RVE.jpg that I just uploaded to the group's file section.  There's detail buried in that large image, so don't forget to zoom in!

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

          PS.  Does findu.com or aprs.fi have any features like this?

          Steven Roberts wrote:

          HI folks...

          I have not posted to this list before; have just been lurking since
          buying my Rtrak. Thought I'd just make a quick comment of
          appreciation for a nice unit - I finally installed it in my sailboat
          (http://www.nomadnes s.com/blog) a couple weeks ago, and have been
          getting surprisingly good performance in what I thought would be
          marginal coverage area. The antenna is just an eBay quarter-wave
          magmount on the steel deck.

          It's been fun getting comments from folks out of the blue, friends
          can keep an eye on my without waiting for blog postings, and the
          aprs.fi page shows a beautiful track. Thanks for the nicely
          integrated product!

          Cheers and 73,
          Steve
          N4RVE

          http://microship. com

        • Steve Roberts
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 12, 2008
            Lynn...

            Wow, that is a beautiful and revealing image... how did you do that?
            I noticed while in Friday harbor (the spot at the bottom of the black
            track, in a protected bay open to the east) that posits only made it
            once or twice a day; interesting to see that they were geographically
            anomalous as well and likely the result of localized propagation
            variations.

            May I use that image on my blog post about the Rtrak?

            Jason, I'll get a photo... it's in a bit of a rat's nest, tucked
            inelegantly with some instruments into the pod over the companionway,
            but that was the only available spot in this steel vessel and it was a
            field-expedient install (sticky-back velcro and cable ties). There
            will be a more permanent installation in the comm bay over the winter;
            this on-water test reveals that it's a keeper.

            I am frankly surprised at the performance, as I am used to a 25-watt
            tracker (Yaesu 290, Kantronics KPC-3+, Garmin GPS-35, and twin-lead
            J-pole) for my kayak:

            http://microship.com/resources/harsh-environment-aprs.html

            This is sure a lot easier, and seems to work better as well.

            Cheers and 73,
            Steve
            N4RVE
          • Steve Roberts
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 15, 2008
              Hi folks...

              My latest Nomadness blog  talks about the Rtrak... thought y'all might enjoy seeing it.

              Cheers from... well, you know where!

              Steve