Re: [RTrak] new tracker.

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2008
      VO1UM wrote...

      > I just purchased a new rtrak device I have the software. can someone
      > tell me the best way to set it up .. either the manual or the
      > smartbeacon. can i get some help in how to set the settings plz.

      Select "profile 1" in the top left corner. I won't talk about "profile
      switching" for now except to recommend clicking on "profile switching"
      and removing all of the checkmarks down the left side and down the right
      side so you are only dealing with "profile 1" for now. When you are a
      bit more used to it, you could consider whether you wanted to do any
      profile switching based on altitude, speed, voltage etc.

      Enter your callsign-ssid in the CALLSIGN field... e.g. VO1UM-9 or some
      SSID that isn't already in use.

      Select 1200 baud.

      Select a suitable path... e.g. WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1

      Enter a suitable filter... e.g.
      symbol taable /
      symbol code [

      This will cause it to use the "human" symbol, suitable if it will be
      used on foot.

      The "temperature" and "quiet time" settings don't do anything in the
      RTrak.

      Select SmartBeaconing and click on SETTINGS. Enter some suitable
      settings... e.g.
      "between 3 km and 30 kmh" if it will be used on a bike, or between 3 km
      and 10 km if it will be used on foot... or between 5 km and 80 km if it
      will be in a vehicle and so on.

      Enter a suitable transmit rate. Because the RTrak only puts ont 500 mW I
      don't hink anyone would argue with it beaconing a bit more often than
      the high powered mobile APRS stations running e.g. 5 to 50 watts from a
      mobile station. I would suggest a slow rate of between 300 and 600
      secnds, and a fast rate of 30 to 60 seconds. Those two figures go
      between the low speed and high speed settings in the top row. For the
      "corner pegging" settings enter something like 20-30 degrees and have it
      "not transmit more than once every 15 seconds" or so.

      Do some reading on SmartBeaconing so you know what these settings do.
      You are telling it to beacon at a slower rate when you are not moving or
      moving very slowly, and more quickly when you are moving faster than a
      certain rate. It isn't a "one or the other" setting. It's a sliding
      scale between the two speeds. The corner pegging makes it transmit when
      you turn a corner.

      Select GPS for the position. Put a checkmark in "don't requrie GPS fix"
      if you want it to beacon the last known position if it loses a lock...
      at least until it gets a fix again.

      Don't enable waypoint output as the built-in GPS receiver doesn't have a
      display.

      Decide if you want it to beacon altitude. Definitely enable course and
      speed. You might as well have it beacon the voltage so you can review
      the supply voltage later... e.g. http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VO1UM-9. As
      VO1UM-9 (and a bunch of other SSIDs) is already in use, you will need to
      select another.

      Load firmware... well, this should be done before you do any of the
      programming. It wouldn't hurt to check and see if you have the lastest
      firmware installed. Just click on the "load from web" button to do that.

      Radio interface... you could turn the audio level down a bit... say
      about a quarter of way from the top of the scale.

      Don't transmit if supply is less than e.g. 12 volts. Depends on what the
      power source is. If it's plugged into 12V form a vehicle, you probably
      wouldn't want to take the battery down much below 12 volts or so. If you
      are running on AA cells, you might as well have it keep going until the
      battery dies. If you are running from a 3 cell Li-PO battery, you
      wouldn't want to take it below 9V or 3 volts per cell. Mind you, the
      other circuitry (GPS receiver, OT etc.) will continue to draw current.

      Click on "write" to save the settings to the RTrak. That's about it, but
      don't hesitate to ask on the list if you have further questions after
      you have used it a while.