Re: RTrak Received

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
      --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "RobertCGRO" <robertcgro@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Just got my RTrak in the mail this past week, and have it up and
      > running, no problems. Somehow, I lucked out with Canada Customs.
      The
      > delcaration sticker clearly indicated the contents & value but it
      > passed through the system without any taxes owing, thank you very
      > much. Guess the package was too small and light for the customs
      > checkpoint and was just passed through the regular mail system.
      > Because this package is very small and light. I was amazed at just
      > how small this thing is!

      Well, I did mark all international orders as "gift" so that MIGHT
      have helped you avoid the incomming customs. Not sure.

      > My only nit-pick is with
      > the programming software. I would like a popup list with the
      > various APRS secondary and primary symbols for field programming if
      > I have to
      > change the tracker symbol for some reason and I don't have an
      > internet connection to look up what the symbol is / or \ and
      > whatever. I do have a printout and I guess for now, I'll leave it
      in
      > the glove box of the SUV. How's that for nit-picking!

      Thanks Scott for jumping in and taking the hit ;o) Actually, that
      has been somthing that has bugged me, but I am not doing the hard
      programming, so I can't say much. Back when I was playing with
      writing a simple VB6 based APRS client, I added in a table with the
      20 or 30 most used symbols. All you had to do was click on the
      symbol you wanted and it was selected.

      For now, I did find this decent online list:

      http://ham-shack.com/aprs_pri_symbols.html

      > Otherwise, programming was a no-brainer for anyone with some APRS
      > experience, but I didn't see much in the user's manual to help
      > someone who may be a newbie in explaining all the options and what
      > they do and when you'd want to use them. I suppose that the default
      > settings should suffice, they really just set their callsign-ssid.

      I know that the manual is not 100%. I will be taking some time to
      revise and include more information for the APRS newbies.

      > The guys at RPC Electroncis have done themselves proud. I hope they
      > sell lots RTraks and continue refinements and additions to the
      > product line.

      We appreciate the kind words! We are very proud of it.

      > I'll be showing off the unit to the locals in our ham
      > club, and writing a newsletter article. I hope that RPC Electronics
      > gets something published in QST and the ARRL lab to reviews it.

      I have been contacted by the editor of QEX to do an article, as well
      as a contact to have the RTrak reviewed by QST. As soon as I know of
      anything, I will announce to the group.

      Thanks!
    • Scott Miller
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
        > I have been contacted by the editor of QEX to do an article, as well
        > as a contact to have the RTrak reviewed by QST. As soon as I know of
        > anything, I will announce to the group.

        I'm going to be jealous if you get in QST right away - I've been doing
        this stuff for 4 years with no write-ups! =]

        I did do an interview for the Austrian ham radio journal, but I don't
        know if it ever ran...

        Scott
        N1VG
      • RobertCGRO
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
          Don't need an icon table. What I meant was a textual list is just fine
          for Q&D (quick and dirty programming. There is the icon list in UIVIEW
          which is used to create a station or object icons for reference.

          Or, check out:
          http://ham-shack.com/aprs_pri_symbols.html
          http://ham-shack.com/aprs_sec_symbols.html

          A sorted drop picklist such as:

          Airplane
          Bike
          Car
          Hospital
          House
          Truck
          Yacht

          is fine with me. In fact, without the actual text next to them, I can't
          figure out what some of the APRS icons are supposed to represent.

          Yes, the kids out there live and ie by smiley faces. But, sometimes a
          simple, single word is worth a thousand icons ;)

          73,
          Robert

          73,
          Robert

          --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

          > The programming software is my fault - it's common to the
          OpenTracker,

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 7, 2008
            --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "RobertCGRO" <robertcgro@...> wrote:

            > Don't need an icon table. What I meant was a textual list is just
            fine
            > for Q&D (quick and dirty programming. There is the icon list in
            UIVIEW
            > which is used to create a station or object icons for reference.
            >
            > Or, check out:
            > http://ham-shack.com/aprs_pri_symbols.html
            > http://ham-shack.com/aprs_sec_symbols.html

            Our posts must have criss-crossed each other. The first link is the
            same one I showed in a post a couple up on the list.

            That is the closest thing I could find to a basic listing.

            Well, maybe not, check out Uncle Bob's list:

            http://eng.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/symbolsX.txt

          • Scott Miller
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 7, 2008
              Well, that'd be easier at least. What I may do is have a pop-up that
              lets you select the icon and then fills in the two blanks. That way
              you've still got the flexibility to enter something that's not in the
              list, including overlays.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 8, 2008
                Robert VA3ROM wrote...

                > Just got my RTrak in the mail this past week...
                > My only nit-pick is with the programming software. I would like
                > a popup list with the various APRS secondary and primary symbols...

                That would be nice, but if you have a PC with you for reprogramming, you
                could just place a copy of the included OpenTracker manual on the PC. It
                has a nicely laid out list os symbols, but there have been a handful of
                additions since it was created.

                > ...but I didn't see much in the user's manual to help someone who
                > may be a newbie in explaining all the options and what they do...

                especially about paths! I see that your RTrak VA3ROM-9 is using
                WIDE2-1,WIDE1-1 for a path. That's backwards. WIDE1-1 should never be
                used anywhere except at the beginning of the path. VA3ROM-7 also has the
                path mis-configured.

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 8, 2008
                  --- Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                  > That would be nice, but if you have a PC with you
                  > for reprogramming, you
                  > could just place a copy of the included OpenTracker
                  > manual on the PC. It
                  > has a nicely laid out list os symbols, but there
                  > have been a handful of
                  > additions since it was created.

                  There is a copy of the OpenTracker manual on the
                  support CD shipped with every RTrak. I will look for
                  a decent list of icons that I can add to the RTrak
                  manual.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 10, 2008
                    Jason KE4NYV wrote...

                    > Well, I did mark all international orders as "gift" so that MIGHT
                    > have helped you avoid the incomming customs. Not sure.

                    Could you send me two or three more as gifts? hi! No extra charges here
                    when I picked mine up. Tnx!