Re: [rtrak] Re: Last Call for Current RTrak Batch Orders DUTY/TAXES

  • Jon
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 14, 2008

      > I always get a kick out of the Irish mailing
      > addresses. Apparently
      > listing a county and a town is good enough to get it
      > to the addressee in
      > some places! No need for pesky street numbers or
      > anything. =]
      My dad once received mail with the address
      Jim Ronan,
      Mullinahone

      We did live 'out in the sticks' as you put it.
      Chances are it would work today, as even though
      Mullinahone is a small, but well known place.

      Actually Seamus, EI8EPB, his parents still live
      there.. so if you wanted to try it.. you could try
      sending an envelope to Seamus Ryan, Mullinahone to see
      if he got it :)

      As Charles J Kickham allegedly once said:
      "Any man who hasn't been to Mullinahone, can't say he
      has travelled at all"

      History Bit:
      Mullinahone is actually a English construct, the real
      name of the place is Muileann na hUamhan, which
      translated is "Mill by the River"

      http://www.mullinahone-parish.com/

      Anyways... I'm blaming Scott for bringing me
      completely off topic.

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 14, 2008
        Looking at pictures of the Rtrak, is the channel selected by that rotary
        switch in the back left corner? I was thinking it would be convenient to
        have access to changing the frequency without opening it up or
        reprogramming it on the road.

        I was going to ask you about what is on the end of the enclosure,
        but just viewed...

        What's this about a four hop path in the config program though? hi!

        Will frequency programming be done within otwinconfig.exe?

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 14, 2008
          --- Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

          > Looking at pictures of the Rtrak, is the channel
          > selected by that rotary
          > switch in the back left corner? I was thinking it
          > would be convenient to
          > have access to changing the frequency without
          > opening it up or
          > reprogramming it on the road.

          I simply ran out of room on the end panel for the
          rotary switch. The best place was to place it on the
          board at the opposite end. A hole can then be drilled
          in the top of the case to access the switch from the
          outside. I left that up to the end user since some
          people want the unit to be as sealed as possible.

          > I was going to ask you about what is on the end of
          > the enclosure,
          > but just viewed...

          Yep, thats it. The engraving is a bit deep on that
          test panel. The shipped version will be about half
          that depth engraving. I have another test panel with
          the proper engraving depth, but the labels are
          mis-placed, so I did'nt want to use that for the
          picture.

          > What's this about a four hop path in the config
          > program though? hi!

          I think I just punched in somthing to get it
          programmed. I admit, that is a bit exsessive.

          DISCLAIMER: Please do not follow the example ;o)

          > Will frequency programming be done within
          > otwinconfig.exe?

          Yes, there is a button labeled "Freq" down in the
          botom right region of the programming interface.
          Click that button and you will get this table:

          Now you can pre-program up to eight frequencies that
          are selectable by the rotary switch or ahrd set by the
          radio buttons at the top of the window. As you can
          see, the Primary and Secondary freqencies can be
          selected with by the selector or radio buttons. The
          secondary would be an alternate frequency that is used
          every n seconds, set by the "Use secondary every..."
          text box.

          Hope that clears it up.

        • Tapio Sokura
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
            Jon wrote:
            > For Ireland, if it's over a certain value (which I
            > must check again).. its about €100 euro. You get hit
            > for duty no matter what.

            You have to remember that there are two separate charges involved here
            (in the EU): 1) The duty that varies depending on the article type and
            2) value added tax that doesn't vary that much. The duty can be 0%, but
            it can also be 10% or even higher. The duty for amateur radio gear is 0%
            (GPS-receivers are 3,7% currently) in the EU. The VAT (a bit like sales
            tax in the US) is what the country charges for that type of products,
            usually around 20% in the EU.

            Often shipments where the total or separate amounts of duty/VAT are
            under a certain limit, like 10 euros, are passed without collecting the
            duty/VAT. So for amateur radio gear, the limit in Finland is about 45
            euros (VAT 22%). The exact limit probably varies between countries. And
            of course if you write 20 USD in the green duty form that goes outside
            the packaging, it might pass through customs even if the real value of
            the contents is 200 USD... or it might not.

            I'd recommend including a clear invoice or shipment list inside the
            packaging that includes the monetary values of the goods and shipping.
            And if you know the duty class of products, you might want to include
            those as well to minimize the duty clerk's searching trouble.

            Tapio