Re: [rtrak] Last Call for Current RTrak Batch Orders

  • Dennis Rogers
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 12, 2008
      I will be ordering mine tomorrow.

      Dennis
      n5vrp.satx@...

      On Feb 12, 2008 8:25 AM, Jason Rausch <lists@...> wrote:

      We are getting ready to order all parts for the current batch of
      RTrak orders. If you plan to order one, please get your order in by
      the end of this week so that you will be counted.

      For more information on the RTrak, please visit:

      http://www.rpc-electronics.com/trackers.php

      The price is still $250 per package. The package includes the All-In-
      One APRS RTrak tracker, programming cable, power cable and GPS
      antenna.

      Please visit the site for all details. If you have any questions,
      please feel free to email us and ask!

      Thanks!

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 12, 2008
        Jason, What will be the shipping cost to ship to Canada?

        Thanks..

        jim
        VE7JSE

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 12, 2008
          Jim,

          The flat rate shipping is $10 to Canada.

          Thanks!

          --- Jim <ve7jse@...> wrote:

          > Jason, What will be the shipping cost to ship to
          > Canada?
          >
          > Thanks..
          >
          > jim
          > VE7JSE
          >
          > --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, Jason Rausch
          > <lists@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Mike,
          > >
          > > The shipping is a flat $10. Please make any
          > checks
          > > out to RPC Electronics c/o Jason Rausch.
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > Jason KE4NYV
          > > RPC Electronics
          > > www.rpc-electronics.com
          > >
          > > --- kaf4472 <Carmelink@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Hi Jason,
          > > >
          > > > I'd like to order one this week by mailing a
          > check,
          > > > but I'm missing the
          > > > shipping weight to calculate the full amount.
          > > >
          > > > Mike W2AG

        • Bob MacDonnell
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 12, 2008
            Shipping is cheap Jim, duty is outrageous!

            Jason - I'm surprised that I can't find specs for the Rtrak on your
            group site. They could be left as a file to be downloaded.

            For example, if the unit is left energized in a parked vehicle does it
            know it is not moving and therefore not tx, or at least tx very
            infrequently?
            73 de bob in brisbane ve0rdm/vk4bdm/yj8dm

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 12, 2008
              --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Bob MacDonnell" <sv_siddiqi@...> wrote:

              > Shipping is cheap Jim, duty is outrageous!

              What is the current duty to Canada now?

              > Jason - I'm surprised that I can't find specs for the Rtrak on your
              > group site. They could be left as a file to be downloaded.

              I'm sorry that I do not have anything in the group files yet. For
              the time being, I have been referring people to the RPC Electronics
              website for details. www.rpc-electronics.com/trackers.php

              > For example, if the unit is left energized in a parked vehicle does
              it
              > know it is not moving and therefore not tx, or at least tx very
              > infrequently?

              Yes, by using SmartBeaconing, you can set a high rate, low rate and
              stop rate for beaconing. While moving the high rate and slow rate
              set the frequency of beacons based on your speed and heading. Once
              the vehicle comes to a stop and remains there, the beacon rate will
              be set to the stop rate. This is typically set to once every 30
              minutes.

              The RTrak uses the OpenTracker, so the OpenTracker SmartBeaconing
              defaults are shipped in the firmware. These can, of course, be
              changed to your liking, but the defaults tend to fall in line with a
              fairly conservative beacon rate. SmartBeaconing will also do
              CornerPegging. It constantly watches the GPS heading, looking for a
              drastic change. When it sees this, it assumes you are either going
              around a large curve or corner, thus chnaging heading/course and
              beacons to make that change.

              Hope that clears things up.

              Thanks!

              > 73 de bob in brisbane ve0rdm/vk4bdm/yj8dm
              >
              > --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, Jason Rausch <lists@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Jim,
              > >
              > > The flat rate shipping is $10 to Canada.
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > > Jason KE4NYV
              > > RPC Electronics
              > > www.rpc-electronics.com
              > >

              > > --- Jim <ve7jse@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Jason, What will be the shipping cost to ship to
              > > > Canada?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks..
              > > >
              > > > jim
              > > > VE7JSE
              > > >
              > > > --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, Jason Rausch

              > > > checks

              > > > check,

            • Bob MacDonnell
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                Thanks Jason. Sounds like the smart beaconing used by TinyTrak3 which
                works well.
                Bob M

                --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Rausch" <lists@...> wrote:

                > --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Bob MacDonnell" <sv_siddiqi@> wrote:
                > > Jason - I'm surprised that I can't find specs for the Rtrak on your
                > > group site. They could be left as a file to be downloaded.
                >
                > I'm sorry that I do not have anything in the group files yet. For
                > the time being, I have been referring people to the RPC Electronics
                > website for details. www.rpc-electronics.com/trackers.php
                >

                > > For example, if the unit is left energized in a parked vehicle does
                > it
                > > know it is not moving and therefore not tx, or at least tx very
                > > infrequently?
                >
                > Yes, by using SmartBeaconing, you can set a high rate, low rate and
                > stop rate for beaconing. While moving the high rate and slow rate
                > set the frequency of beacons based on your speed and heading. Once
                > the vehicle comes to a stop and remains there, the beacon rate will
                > be set to the stop rate. This is typically set to once every 30
                > minutes.
                >
                > The RTrak uses the OpenTracker, so the OpenTracker SmartBeaconing
                > defaults are shipped in the firmware. These can, of course, be
                > changed to your liking, but the defaults tend to fall in line with a
                > fairly conservative beacon rate. SmartBeaconing will also do
                > CornerPegging. It constantly watches the GPS heading, looking for a
                > drastic change. When it sees this, it assumes you are either going
                > around a large curve or corner, thus chnaging heading/course and
                > beacons to make that change.
                >
                > Hope that clears things up.
                >
                > Thanks!
                > Jason KE4NYV
                > RPC Electronics
                > www.rpc-electronics.com

              • RobertCGRO
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                  FYI

                  Thanks to NAFTA, amateur radio products have no "duty" shipped
                  between the US and Canada. However, crossing the border you still
                  have to pay the appropriate GST 5% and applicable PST which varies
                  across the country. The federal gov't has agreed to collect these
                  taes for the provinces. Canada Post will also charge a small broker
                  fee (around $8) which is much, much less than what UPS/DHL/Fedex
                  charges.

                  Canadians receiving transborder mail shipments are only allowed a $20
                  Canadian tax exemption before having to pay taxes. For the U.S.
                  consumer, it's $200 USD.

                  As long as the outside of the package is clearly marked "AMATEUR
                  RADIO ELECTRONICS." (You can also throw in "MADE IN U.S.A. for added
                  emphasis.) even a dozy customs officer knows the NAFTA rules on such
                  products. Ditto for many countries around the world, but you have to
                  check with your customs and explicity ask. Usually all the info in on
                  web pages these days, but nothing is better than a tete-a-tete with a
                  flesh and blood person.

                  Robert, VA3ROM
                  http://my.tbaytel.net/va3rom

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                    Robert,

                    Thanks for the information! I am going to see if I can source some
                    nice "Made in USA" stickers locally that I can stick on the shipping
                    boxes.

                    In the US and Canada, I have never had any problem marking the box as
                    Amateur Radio contents, but when it come to overseas I have always
                    been a little weary. I don't exactly know the radio laws in other
                    countries and I would hate for a package to be seized instead of
                    making it to the buyer.

                    Does anyone know of any countries to watch out for, as far as making
                    the box look as plain as possible?

                    --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "RobertCGRO" <robertcgro@...> wrote:

                    > FYI
                    >
                    > Thanks to NAFTA, amateur radio products have no "duty" shipped
                    > between the US and Canada. However, crossing the border you still
                    > have to pay the appropriate GST 5% and applicable PST which varies
                    > across the country. The federal gov't has agreed to collect these
                    > taes for the provinces. Canada Post will also charge a small broker
                    > fee (around $8) which is much, much less than what UPS/DHL/Fedex
                    > charges.
                    >
                    > Canadians receiving transborder mail shipments are only allowed a
                    $20
                    > Canadian tax exemption before having to pay taxes. For the U.S.
                    > consumer, it's $200 USD.
                    >
                    > As long as the outside of the package is clearly marked "AMATEUR
                    > RADIO ELECTRONICS." (You can also throw in "MADE IN U.S.A. for
                    added
                    > emphasis.) even a dozy customs officer knows the NAFTA rules on
                    such
                    > products. Ditto for many countries around the world, but you have
                    > check with your customs and explicity ask. Usually all the info in
                    on
                    > web pages these days, but nothing is better than a tete-a-tete with
                    > flesh and blood person.
                    >
                    > Robert, VA3ROM
                    > http://my.tbaytel.net/va3rom
                    >

                    > --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Rausch" <lists@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Bob MacDonnell" <sv_siddiqi@>
                    wrote:

                    > > > Shipping is cheap Jim, duty is outrageous!
                    > >
                    > > What is the current duty to Canada now?

                  • Patrick
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                      Well, besides keeping the loose wires and white powder inside the box, and making sure
                      that its RoHS compliant, I'd figure that the best people to ensure the restrictions of
                      what's coming to them would be the international people ordering.. So for first time
                      orders to a country get them to confirm that they don't require special clearances..

                      Lets face it, if you're ordering a 250$ item like the rtrak, its usually not going to be
                      the first thing you've ordered online so most likely you've done it before and know at
                      least a little what goes into the process, and what are definate no-no's..

                      Patrick

                      On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:35:17 -0000, Jason Rausch wrote

                    • Scott Miller
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                        If you check the mailing instructions that the post office provides
                        online (I think it'll say when you're doing online postage), it'll tell
                        you what's prohibited and restricted.

                        Commercial radio gear is restricted in some places, so that's another
                        reason to make sure it's listed as amateur. I also add 'kit' to the
                        description whenever applicable.

                        Shipping in bubble mailers seems to attract less attention than boxes,
                        but I'm not sure if the RTrak will fit.

                        Oh, and I've been told that for countries with high mail theft, insuring
                        a package, even for a small amount, can help - apparently insured mail
                        has different standards for tracking and accountability.

                        Scott
                        N1VG

                      • Scott Miller
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                          > Thanks for the information! I am going to see if I can source some
                          > nice "Made in USA" stickers locally that I can stick on the shipping
                          > boxes.

                          I think I've got a source for those in China. =]

                          > In the US and Canada, I have never had any problem marking the box as
                          > Amateur Radio contents, but when it come to overseas I have always
                          > been a little weary. I don't exactly know the radio laws in other
                          > countries and I would hate for a package to be seized instead of
                          > making it to the buyer.

                          I've had people in the UK and other places tell me specifically to mark
                          it as amateur radio equipment (I use HS code 852990) to make it clear
                          that it's exempt from duties.

                          > Does anyone know of any countries to watch out for, as far as making
                          > the box look as plain as possible?

                          I think it's important to be as accurate as possible in the description
                          - otherwise you risk having it delayed if it doesn't match.

                          My worst countries for shipping are probably Portugal and Argentina.
                          Brazil's up there too, Indonesia's questionable but I haven't had enough
                          orders for a statistically significant sample.

                          Scott
                          N1VG
                        • Jon
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                            For Ireland, if it's over a certain value (which I
                            must check again).. its about €100 euro. You get hit
                            for duty no matter what.

                            However Scott's OT2's always make it through :)

                            de
                            John
                            EI7IG

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                              Now if I could just get my shopping cart system to stop requiring post
                              codes and states!

                              I always get a kick out of the Irish mailing addresses. Apparently
                              listing a county and a town is good enough to get it to the addressee in
                              some places! No need for pesky street numbers or anything. =]

                              To be fair, in small towns in the US that might work too if it gets as
                              far as the local post office, but that's not likely to happen if you
                              don't include a valid ZIP code.

                              Scott
                              N1VG

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 14, 2008

                                > I always get a kick out of the Irish mailing
                                > addresses. Apparently
                                > listing a county and a town is good enough to get it
                                > to the addressee in
                                > some places! No need for pesky street numbers or
                                > anything. =]
                                My dad once received mail with the address
                                Jim Ronan,
                                Mullinahone

                                We did live 'out in the sticks' as you put it.
                                Chances are it would work today, as even though
                                Mullinahone is a small, but well known place.

                                Actually Seamus, EI8EPB, his parents still live
                                there.. so if you wanted to try it.. you could try
                                sending an envelope to Seamus Ryan, Mullinahone to see
                                if he got it :)

                                As Charles J Kickham allegedly once said:
                                "Any man who hasn't been to Mullinahone, can't say he
                                has travelled at all"

                                History Bit:
                                Mullinahone is actually a English construct, the real
                                name of the place is Muileann na hUamhan, which
                                translated is "Mill by the River"

                                http://www.mullinahone-parish.com/

                                Anyways... I'm blaming Scott for bringing me
                                completely off topic.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 14, 2008
                                  Looking at pictures of the Rtrak, is the channel selected by that rotary
                                  switch in the back left corner? I was thinking it would be convenient to
                                  have access to changing the frequency without opening it up or
                                  reprogramming it on the road.

                                  I was going to ask you about what is on the end of the enclosure,
                                  but just viewed...

                                  What's this about a four hop path in the config program though? hi!

                                  Will frequency programming be done within otwinconfig.exe?

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 14, 2008
                                    --- Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                                    > Looking at pictures of the Rtrak, is the channel
                                    > selected by that rotary
                                    > switch in the back left corner? I was thinking it
                                    > would be convenient to
                                    > have access to changing the frequency without
                                    > opening it up or
                                    > reprogramming it on the road.

                                    I simply ran out of room on the end panel for the
                                    rotary switch. The best place was to place it on the
                                    board at the opposite end. A hole can then be drilled
                                    in the top of the case to access the switch from the
                                    outside. I left that up to the end user since some
                                    people want the unit to be as sealed as possible.

                                    > I was going to ask you about what is on the end of
                                    > the enclosure,
                                    > but just viewed...

                                    Yep, thats it. The engraving is a bit deep on that
                                    test panel. The shipped version will be about half
                                    that depth engraving. I have another test panel with
                                    the proper engraving depth, but the labels are
                                    mis-placed, so I did'nt want to use that for the
                                    picture.

                                    > What's this about a four hop path in the config
                                    > program though? hi!

                                    I think I just punched in somthing to get it
                                    programmed. I admit, that is a bit exsessive.

                                    DISCLAIMER: Please do not follow the example ;o)

                                    > Will frequency programming be done within
                                    > otwinconfig.exe?

                                    Yes, there is a button labeled "Freq" down in the
                                    botom right region of the programming interface.
                                    Click that button and you will get this table:

                                    Now you can pre-program up to eight frequencies that
                                    are selectable by the rotary switch or ahrd set by the
                                    radio buttons at the top of the window. As you can
                                    see, the Primary and Secondary freqencies can be
                                    selected with by the selector or radio buttons. The
                                    secondary would be an alternate frequency that is used
                                    every n seconds, set by the "Use secondary every..."
                                    text box.

                                    Hope that clears it up.

                                  • Tapio Sokura
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
                                      Jon wrote:
                                      > For Ireland, if it's over a certain value (which I
                                      > must check again).. its about €100 euro. You get hit
                                      > for duty no matter what.

                                      You have to remember that there are two separate charges involved here
                                      (in the EU): 1) The duty that varies depending on the article type and
                                      2) value added tax that doesn't vary that much. The duty can be 0%, but
                                      it can also be 10% or even higher. The duty for amateur radio gear is 0%
                                      (GPS-receivers are 3,7% currently) in the EU. The VAT (a bit like sales
                                      tax in the US) is what the country charges for that type of products,
                                      usually around 20% in the EU.

                                      Often shipments where the total or separate amounts of duty/VAT are
                                      under a certain limit, like 10 euros, are passed without collecting the
                                      duty/VAT. So for amateur radio gear, the limit in Finland is about 45
                                      euros (VAT 22%). The exact limit probably varies between countries. And
                                      of course if you write 20 USD in the green duty form that goes outside
                                      the packaging, it might pass through customs even if the real value of
                                      the contents is 200 USD... or it might not.

                                      I'd recommend including a clear invoice or shipment list inside the
                                      packaging that includes the monetary values of the goods and shipping.
                                      And if you know the duty class of products, you might want to include
                                      those as well to minimize the duty clerk's searching trouble.

                                      Tapio