Re: [rtrak] Re: Last Call for Current RTrak Batch Orders

    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 12, 2008
      Mike,

      The shipping is a flat $10. Please make any checks
      out to RPC Electronics c/o Jason Rausch.

      Thanks!

      --- kaf4472 <Carmelink@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jason,
      >
      > I'd like to order one this week by mailing a check,
      > but I'm missing the
      > shipping weight to calculate the full amount.
      >
      > Mike W2AG

    • Dennis Rogers
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 12, 2008
        I will be ordering mine tomorrow.

        Dennis
        n5vrp.satx@...

        On Feb 12, 2008 8:25 AM, Jason Rausch <lists@...> wrote:

        We are getting ready to order all parts for the current batch of
        RTrak orders. If you plan to order one, please get your order in by
        the end of this week so that you will be counted.

        For more information on the RTrak, please visit:

        http://www.rpc-electronics.com/trackers.php

        The price is still $250 per package. The package includes the All-In-
        One APRS RTrak tracker, programming cable, power cable and GPS
        antenna.

        Please visit the site for all details. If you have any questions,
        please feel free to email us and ask!

        Thanks!

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 12, 2008
          Jason, What will be the shipping cost to ship to Canada?

          Thanks..

          jim
          VE7JSE

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 12, 2008
            Jim,

            The flat rate shipping is $10 to Canada.

            Thanks!

            --- Jim <ve7jse@...> wrote:

            > Jason, What will be the shipping cost to ship to
            > Canada?
            >
            > Thanks..
            >
            > jim
            > VE7JSE
            >
            > --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, Jason Rausch
            > <lists@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Mike,
            > >
            > > The shipping is a flat $10. Please make any
            > checks
            > > out to RPC Electronics c/o Jason Rausch.
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > > Jason KE4NYV
            > > RPC Electronics
            > > www.rpc-electronics.com
            > >
            > > --- kaf4472 <Carmelink@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hi Jason,
            > > >
            > > > I'd like to order one this week by mailing a
            > check,
            > > > but I'm missing the
            > > > shipping weight to calculate the full amount.
            > > >
            > > > Mike W2AG

          • Bob MacDonnell
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 12, 2008
              Shipping is cheap Jim, duty is outrageous!

              Jason - I'm surprised that I can't find specs for the Rtrak on your
              group site. They could be left as a file to be downloaded.

              For example, if the unit is left energized in a parked vehicle does it
              know it is not moving and therefore not tx, or at least tx very
              infrequently?
              73 de bob in brisbane ve0rdm/vk4bdm/yj8dm

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 12, 2008
                --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Bob MacDonnell" <sv_siddiqi@...> wrote:

                > Shipping is cheap Jim, duty is outrageous!

                What is the current duty to Canada now?

                > Jason - I'm surprised that I can't find specs for the Rtrak on your
                > group site. They could be left as a file to be downloaded.

                I'm sorry that I do not have anything in the group files yet. For
                the time being, I have been referring people to the RPC Electronics
                website for details. www.rpc-electronics.com/trackers.php

                > For example, if the unit is left energized in a parked vehicle does
                it
                > know it is not moving and therefore not tx, or at least tx very
                > infrequently?

                Yes, by using SmartBeaconing, you can set a high rate, low rate and
                stop rate for beaconing. While moving the high rate and slow rate
                set the frequency of beacons based on your speed and heading. Once
                the vehicle comes to a stop and remains there, the beacon rate will
                be set to the stop rate. This is typically set to once every 30
                minutes.

                The RTrak uses the OpenTracker, so the OpenTracker SmartBeaconing
                defaults are shipped in the firmware. These can, of course, be
                changed to your liking, but the defaults tend to fall in line with a
                fairly conservative beacon rate. SmartBeaconing will also do
                CornerPegging. It constantly watches the GPS heading, looking for a
                drastic change. When it sees this, it assumes you are either going
                around a large curve or corner, thus chnaging heading/course and
                beacons to make that change.

                Hope that clears things up.

                Thanks!

                > 73 de bob in brisbane ve0rdm/vk4bdm/yj8dm
                >
                > --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, Jason Rausch <lists@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Jim,
                > >
                > > The flat rate shipping is $10 to Canada.
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > > Jason KE4NYV
                > > RPC Electronics
                > > www.rpc-electronics.com
                > >

                > > --- Jim <ve7jse@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Jason, What will be the shipping cost to ship to
                > > > Canada?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks..
                > > >
                > > > jim
                > > > VE7JSE
                > > >
                > > > --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, Jason Rausch

                > > > checks

                > > > check,

              • Bob MacDonnell
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                  Thanks Jason. Sounds like the smart beaconing used by TinyTrak3 which
                  works well.
                  Bob M

                  --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Rausch" <lists@...> wrote:

                  > --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Bob MacDonnell" <sv_siddiqi@> wrote:
                  > > Jason - I'm surprised that I can't find specs for the Rtrak on your
                  > > group site. They could be left as a file to be downloaded.
                  >
                  > I'm sorry that I do not have anything in the group files yet. For
                  > the time being, I have been referring people to the RPC Electronics
                  > website for details. www.rpc-electronics.com/trackers.php
                  >

                  > > For example, if the unit is left energized in a parked vehicle does
                  > it
                  > > know it is not moving and therefore not tx, or at least tx very
                  > > infrequently?
                  >
                  > Yes, by using SmartBeaconing, you can set a high rate, low rate and
                  > stop rate for beaconing. While moving the high rate and slow rate
                  > set the frequency of beacons based on your speed and heading. Once
                  > the vehicle comes to a stop and remains there, the beacon rate will
                  > be set to the stop rate. This is typically set to once every 30
                  > minutes.
                  >
                  > The RTrak uses the OpenTracker, so the OpenTracker SmartBeaconing
                  > defaults are shipped in the firmware. These can, of course, be
                  > changed to your liking, but the defaults tend to fall in line with a
                  > fairly conservative beacon rate. SmartBeaconing will also do
                  > CornerPegging. It constantly watches the GPS heading, looking for a
                  > drastic change. When it sees this, it assumes you are either going
                  > around a large curve or corner, thus chnaging heading/course and
                  > beacons to make that change.
                  >
                  > Hope that clears things up.
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > Jason KE4NYV
                  > RPC Electronics
                  > www.rpc-electronics.com

                • RobertCGRO
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                    FYI

                    Thanks to NAFTA, amateur radio products have no "duty" shipped
                    between the US and Canada. However, crossing the border you still
                    have to pay the appropriate GST 5% and applicable PST which varies
                    across the country. The federal gov't has agreed to collect these
                    taes for the provinces. Canada Post will also charge a small broker
                    fee (around $8) which is much, much less than what UPS/DHL/Fedex
                    charges.

                    Canadians receiving transborder mail shipments are only allowed a $20
                    Canadian tax exemption before having to pay taxes. For the U.S.
                    consumer, it's $200 USD.

                    As long as the outside of the package is clearly marked "AMATEUR
                    RADIO ELECTRONICS." (You can also throw in "MADE IN U.S.A. for added
                    emphasis.) even a dozy customs officer knows the NAFTA rules on such
                    products. Ditto for many countries around the world, but you have to
                    check with your customs and explicity ask. Usually all the info in on
                    web pages these days, but nothing is better than a tete-a-tete with a
                    flesh and blood person.

                    Robert, VA3ROM
                    http://my.tbaytel.net/va3rom

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                      Robert,

                      Thanks for the information! I am going to see if I can source some
                      nice "Made in USA" stickers locally that I can stick on the shipping
                      boxes.

                      In the US and Canada, I have never had any problem marking the box as
                      Amateur Radio contents, but when it come to overseas I have always
                      been a little weary. I don't exactly know the radio laws in other
                      countries and I would hate for a package to be seized instead of
                      making it to the buyer.

                      Does anyone know of any countries to watch out for, as far as making
                      the box look as plain as possible?

                      --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "RobertCGRO" <robertcgro@...> wrote:

                      > FYI
                      >
                      > Thanks to NAFTA, amateur radio products have no "duty" shipped
                      > between the US and Canada. However, crossing the border you still
                      > have to pay the appropriate GST 5% and applicable PST which varies
                      > across the country. The federal gov't has agreed to collect these
                      > taes for the provinces. Canada Post will also charge a small broker
                      > fee (around $8) which is much, much less than what UPS/DHL/Fedex
                      > charges.
                      >
                      > Canadians receiving transborder mail shipments are only allowed a
                      $20
                      > Canadian tax exemption before having to pay taxes. For the U.S.
                      > consumer, it's $200 USD.
                      >
                      > As long as the outside of the package is clearly marked "AMATEUR
                      > RADIO ELECTRONICS." (You can also throw in "MADE IN U.S.A. for
                      added
                      > emphasis.) even a dozy customs officer knows the NAFTA rules on
                      such
                      > products. Ditto for many countries around the world, but you have
                      > check with your customs and explicity ask. Usually all the info in
                      on
                      > web pages these days, but nothing is better than a tete-a-tete with
                      > flesh and blood person.
                      >
                      > Robert, VA3ROM
                      > http://my.tbaytel.net/va3rom
                      >

                      > --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Rausch" <lists@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Bob MacDonnell" <sv_siddiqi@>
                      wrote:

                      > > > Shipping is cheap Jim, duty is outrageous!
                      > >
                      > > What is the current duty to Canada now?

                    • Patrick
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                        Well, besides keeping the loose wires and white powder inside the box, and making sure
                        that its RoHS compliant, I'd figure that the best people to ensure the restrictions of
                        what's coming to them would be the international people ordering.. So for first time
                        orders to a country get them to confirm that they don't require special clearances..

                        Lets face it, if you're ordering a 250$ item like the rtrak, its usually not going to be
                        the first thing you've ordered online so most likely you've done it before and know at
                        least a little what goes into the process, and what are definate no-no's..

                        Patrick

                        On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:35:17 -0000, Jason Rausch wrote

                      • Scott Miller
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                          If you check the mailing instructions that the post office provides
                          online (I think it'll say when you're doing online postage), it'll tell
                          you what's prohibited and restricted.

                          Commercial radio gear is restricted in some places, so that's another
                          reason to make sure it's listed as amateur. I also add 'kit' to the
                          description whenever applicable.

                          Shipping in bubble mailers seems to attract less attention than boxes,
                          but I'm not sure if the RTrak will fit.

                          Oh, and I've been told that for countries with high mail theft, insuring
                          a package, even for a small amount, can help - apparently insured mail
                          has different standards for tracking and accountability.

                          Scott
                          N1VG

                        • Scott Miller
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                            > Thanks for the information! I am going to see if I can source some
                            > nice "Made in USA" stickers locally that I can stick on the shipping
                            > boxes.

                            I think I've got a source for those in China. =]

                            > In the US and Canada, I have never had any problem marking the box as
                            > Amateur Radio contents, but when it come to overseas I have always
                            > been a little weary. I don't exactly know the radio laws in other
                            > countries and I would hate for a package to be seized instead of
                            > making it to the buyer.

                            I've had people in the UK and other places tell me specifically to mark
                            it as amateur radio equipment (I use HS code 852990) to make it clear
                            that it's exempt from duties.

                            > Does anyone know of any countries to watch out for, as far as making
                            > the box look as plain as possible?

                            I think it's important to be as accurate as possible in the description
                            - otherwise you risk having it delayed if it doesn't match.

                            My worst countries for shipping are probably Portugal and Argentina.
                            Brazil's up there too, Indonesia's questionable but I haven't had enough
                            orders for a statistically significant sample.

                            Scott
                            N1VG
                          • Jon
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                              For Ireland, if it's over a certain value (which I
                              must check again).. its about €100 euro. You get hit
                              for duty no matter what.

                              However Scott's OT2's always make it through :)

                              de
                              John
                              EI7IG

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 13, 2008
                                Now if I could just get my shopping cart system to stop requiring post
                                codes and states!

                                I always get a kick out of the Irish mailing addresses. Apparently
                                listing a county and a town is good enough to get it to the addressee in
                                some places! No need for pesky street numbers or anything. =]

                                To be fair, in small towns in the US that might work too if it gets as
                                far as the local post office, but that's not likely to happen if you
                                don't include a valid ZIP code.

                                Scott
                                N1VG

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 14, 2008

                                  > I always get a kick out of the Irish mailing
                                  > addresses. Apparently
                                  > listing a county and a town is good enough to get it
                                  > to the addressee in
                                  > some places! No need for pesky street numbers or
                                  > anything. =]
                                  My dad once received mail with the address
                                  Jim Ronan,
                                  Mullinahone

                                  We did live 'out in the sticks' as you put it.
                                  Chances are it would work today, as even though
                                  Mullinahone is a small, but well known place.

                                  Actually Seamus, EI8EPB, his parents still live
                                  there.. so if you wanted to try it.. you could try
                                  sending an envelope to Seamus Ryan, Mullinahone to see
                                  if he got it :)

                                  As Charles J Kickham allegedly once said:
                                  "Any man who hasn't been to Mullinahone, can't say he
                                  has travelled at all"

                                  History Bit:
                                  Mullinahone is actually a English construct, the real
                                  name of the place is Muileann na hUamhan, which
                                  translated is "Mill by the River"

                                  http://www.mullinahone-parish.com/

                                  Anyways... I'm blaming Scott for bringing me
                                  completely off topic.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 14, 2008
                                    Looking at pictures of the Rtrak, is the channel selected by that rotary
                                    switch in the back left corner? I was thinking it would be convenient to
                                    have access to changing the frequency without opening it up or
                                    reprogramming it on the road.

                                    I was going to ask you about what is on the end of the enclosure,
                                    but just viewed...

                                    What's this about a four hop path in the config program though? hi!

                                    Will frequency programming be done within otwinconfig.exe?

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 14, 2008
                                      --- Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                                      > Looking at pictures of the Rtrak, is the channel
                                      > selected by that rotary
                                      > switch in the back left corner? I was thinking it
                                      > would be convenient to
                                      > have access to changing the frequency without
                                      > opening it up or
                                      > reprogramming it on the road.

                                      I simply ran out of room on the end panel for the
                                      rotary switch. The best place was to place it on the
                                      board at the opposite end. A hole can then be drilled
                                      in the top of the case to access the switch from the
                                      outside. I left that up to the end user since some
                                      people want the unit to be as sealed as possible.

                                      > I was going to ask you about what is on the end of
                                      > the enclosure,
                                      > but just viewed...

                                      Yep, thats it. The engraving is a bit deep on that
                                      test panel. The shipped version will be about half
                                      that depth engraving. I have another test panel with
                                      the proper engraving depth, but the labels are
                                      mis-placed, so I did'nt want to use that for the
                                      picture.

                                      > What's this about a four hop path in the config
                                      > program though? hi!

                                      I think I just punched in somthing to get it
                                      programmed. I admit, that is a bit exsessive.

                                      DISCLAIMER: Please do not follow the example ;o)

                                      > Will frequency programming be done within
                                      > otwinconfig.exe?

                                      Yes, there is a button labeled "Freq" down in the
                                      botom right region of the programming interface.
                                      Click that button and you will get this table:

                                      Now you can pre-program up to eight frequencies that
                                      are selectable by the rotary switch or ahrd set by the
                                      radio buttons at the top of the window. As you can
                                      see, the Primary and Secondary freqencies can be
                                      selected with by the selector or radio buttons. The
                                      secondary would be an alternate frequency that is used
                                      every n seconds, set by the "Use secondary every..."
                                      text box.

                                      Hope that clears it up.

                                    • Tapio Sokura
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
                                        Jon wrote:
                                        > For Ireland, if it's over a certain value (which I
                                        > must check again).. its about €100 euro. You get hit
                                        > for duty no matter what.

                                        You have to remember that there are two separate charges involved here
                                        (in the EU): 1) The duty that varies depending on the article type and
                                        2) value added tax that doesn't vary that much. The duty can be 0%, but
                                        it can also be 10% or even higher. The duty for amateur radio gear is 0%
                                        (GPS-receivers are 3,7% currently) in the EU. The VAT (a bit like sales
                                        tax in the US) is what the country charges for that type of products,
                                        usually around 20% in the EU.

                                        Often shipments where the total or separate amounts of duty/VAT are
                                        under a certain limit, like 10 euros, are passed without collecting the
                                        duty/VAT. So for amateur radio gear, the limit in Finland is about 45
                                        euros (VAT 22%). The exact limit probably varies between countries. And
                                        of course if you write 20 USD in the green duty form that goes outside
                                        the packaging, it might pass through customs even if the real value of
                                        the contents is 200 USD... or it might not.

                                        I'd recommend including a clear invoice or shipment list inside the
                                        packaging that includes the monetary values of the goods and shipping.
                                        And if you know the duty class of products, you might want to include
                                        those as well to minimize the duty clerk's searching trouble.

                                        Tapio