467Re: [RTrak] RTrak-HAB doesn't lock

  • Jason KG4WSV
    Mar 27 3:07 PM
      On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Patrick Wood <winston@...> wrote:

      That may be your issue...  Up to those antennas should be horizontal to the sky

      The antenna IS facing the sky. I've already been through a flight with these units with unreliable operation because they were facing the horizon.

      This ain't my first rodeo; these trackers will go on balloons that'll push the total number of flights I've helped with up to about 75 or 80 (I've lost count).

      At this point I'm looking at things like does the expanded PVC mounting material (the black stuff in the picture) contains enough carbin to cause RF propagaiton problems (shileding, multiapth, etc)?  Do the GPS units have some systemic problem (bad firmware, can't handle sitting on a shelf for 6 months, etc)?

      I don't have antennas or a 3.3V RS232 interface to check things like that; I'll probably send them to Jason and let him see what he can see.

      -Jason
      kg4wsv
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic