348Re: [RTrak] initial use of RTrak and request for LED description

    Jul 23, 2009
      Hugh AA0HP wrote...

      > My RTrak setup uses a small gel-battery, with 11.x volts showing in
      > the RTrak programmer diagnostic. I've tried both a Smiley "1/2 wave"
      > 2m antenna (1.2 SWR) and the intended 1/4 wave antenna for the
      > motorbike, which uses a small aluminum travel rack as the
      > "counterpoise" (2.1 SWR). I used the programmer to initially update
      > the default settings with my call sign, our local path
      > (WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 per http://www.nwaprs.info/) and frequency
      > of 144.390 MHz.

      Your path and frequency should be OK, but you could try 144.990 to see
      if anything is listening on that frequency in Seattle. My results with
      an RTrak with a rubber duck or quarter wave right on the RTrak, with or
      without an additional ground plane were abysmal. However, as soon as I
      went to a half wave mag mount, performance (at least where I live) was
      as good as a tracker using an OT1x and an FT-1500 running 10W connected
      to a 5/8.

      I know you have verified that your RTrak is transmitting, but having
      another TNC and radio for testing would be really useful. If you don't
      have a TNC, are there any other APRS users close to your location?

      > One piece of information to get me started might be an explanation of
      > what the LEDs show in "program" and "run" modes.

      The red power LED should be on all of the time. The activity light will
      flash a double-red while the GPS is acquiring and a single green after
      it has a fix. It be red when it transmits.