34Re: RTrak Update

  • vk1nut
    Nov 17, 2007
      1. The 8 pos rotary switch is a good idea, access from the outside
      through a hole with a screen print giving indication of the 8
      positions could be handy.This means there would not be any need to
      open the case to change frequencies.
      2. Are the frequencies going to be fully defined by the user (user
      can define any freq within the hardware limits of the Transceiver?)
      Or is it going to be limited to what frequencies are hard coded?
      If they are hard coded, what will be the frequencies?

      Thanks
      Glenn -vk1nut

      --- In rtrak@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <lists@...> wrote:

      > Please check the "Photos" section of the group. There is a new
      > folder called "RTrak V 1.6" and it contains pictures of the latest
      > RTrak board, including the first case that I hand milled for
      > testing. Be gentle, that milling was done with a hand drill and
      it
      > was a bit off. The milled end plates will be done by a
      professional
      > shop and will fit just right.
      >
      > This version contains a not-yet available, enhanced version of the
      > SMT OpenTracker 1+. This version is 28 pins and contains SPI
      lines
      > to control the MX-146 transmitter. Scott had the foresight
      to "add"
      > the additonal pins to the bottom of the pin rows, on the module,
      > allowing for the original 24 pin module to still be used. All
      RTraks
      > will ship with this new 28 pin version.
      >
      > You will also see a 16 position HEX rotary switch in the top right
      > corner of the board. This will be used for frequency selection.
      The
      > proposed method is to have a frequency table in the OpenTracker
      > config software that can hold up to eight frequencies. Any of
      these
      > eight will be selectable by choosing between positions 0 and 8.
      This
      > will be used for single frequency beaconing. When selecting
      > positions 9 through F, you can select one of the first eight, as
      well
      > as a pre-determined secondary frequency for dual frequency
      > beaconing. Using this method will allow you to switch between
      these
      > two modes easily, without the need of a computer to change.
      Please,
      > share your comments on this.
      >
      > Last, there is a 5th picture in the folder that shows a Pelican
      case
      > that has been "plucked" to hold a RTrak, GPS antenna, power cable
      and
      > programming cable. I would like to hear if there is any interest
      in
      > these cases. If there is enough demand, I will offer these as an
      > extra accessory to the RTrak package, pre "plucked" of course!
      >
      > Now, to answer the main question! "How much is it?" We have
      settled
      > on a price of $250 per unit. This will include, the RTrak (with
      > case), GPS patch antenna, lighter power cable, programming cable
      and
      > manual. After much comparison with other similar devices and
      number
      > crunching, this is the price that we have decided on. We compared
      > mostly with the frequency agile MicroTrak, which is $220. The
      > MicroTrak is nice, but it does not include a built-in GPS, case,
      > cables or even the DB9 to connect a GPS. We feel that with our
      > price, you are getting much more for the dollar.
      >
      > Comments? Suggestions? Complaints?
      >
      > Thank you very much for all of the input on and off of this SIG!
      >
      > Jason KE4NYV
      > RPC Electronics
      > www.rpc-electronics.com

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic