260RE: [RTrak] Re: Red light flashing...

  • Wilson, Dion
    Jun 4, 2008

      Keith and group,

      The laptop I own does not have a serial port, too new to be installed.  I could try it on one of my desktop computers.  I would have to buy a null modem and verify the information, Radio Shack has one for $10, and I suppose the quickest way of getting my hands on one.  I will review the data hopefully today.

      I left work yesterday with a green light.  I get home and it’s red again.  There were two beacons on the network, both within a mile or so of the origination point.  Yesterday, the unit was hard cycled (unplugged-plugged) from the power jack multiple times.  The car is an un-obstructed view of the sky and the unit does not sync up.  This is very similar to my last RMA and sent back to Jason.  He upgraded the firmware of the GPS and he stated he had it running for an hour on the bench and was shipped back to me, promptly by the way.  I read the profile and saved it to file and that’s where we stand.  The unit worked fine for a few days and then this current state of operation is consistent.  The unit works when it wants to work and there is neither rhyme nor reason to its actual operation.

      The unit is getting power directly from the vehicles battery.

      Jason would have to comment on the addition of the capacitor since the unit was sent back as RMA and shipped back between the timeframe of Dayton and last week.  Jason can comment of line if this mod was performed during the timeframe.

      Thanks for the advice I will report back the findings in due time.

      Regards,

      Noid Wilson

      N9RLR-2

      Tampa

      > I was showing up on the network and the light was green. When I get to
      > work the light was flashing red and the last time seen on the network
      > was when I left home.

      Do you have a laptop? You could plug in the configuration cable and put
      a null-modem adapter in between and view the NMEA output from the GPS
      receiver to try and see what is going on. The switch should be in the
      RUN position. You could just view the data in a terminal program, or use
      something like VisualGPS to look at it. Here's a couple of lines of my
      output. I have only the $GPRMC and $GPGGA sentences enabled.

      $GPGGA,232710. 00,4848.92803, N,12327.32821, W,1,09,1. 71,00163, M,-017,M, ,*55
      $GPRMC,232710. 00,A,4848. 92803,N,12327. 32821,W,000. 0,000.0,030608, 20.8,E,A* 1A

      Specifically, you are looking for the "A" near the beginning of the RMC
      sentence. If you see a "V" instead, the GPS receiver doesn't have a
      lock. Also, can you measure the current that the RTrak is drawing when
      it isn't transmitting? Perhaps yours needs the "capacitor mod" that
      Jason just announced.