Re: Holding tanks

  • donnreeves
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
      Geoff,
      Great looking job on the tanks.I thougt about doing the same
      thing,but with a 35'er couldn't give up the curbside bay.My gray tank
      sits along side the frame,drivers side in the air tank bay,and the
      black is under the frame rail also drvers side.Using a house type
      toilet allows more freedom of layout as the commode dosen't need to
      be right over the tank.You should be able to contain the drainage
      into one bay makeing it easy to heat with your webasco.Keep up the
      good work,you are closing in on it.-Donn
    • Geoff
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
        Hi, Tony

        I was finally able to view all your pictures in the member's section
        (115!)-- before my computer kept jamming up and crashing on me when I
        looked at more than a few, then I got smart and used Explorer instead of
        Netscape and fixed the problem. I looked at your plumbing and still
        can't figure out your tank system-- is that cabinet with doors hiding
        the 300 gallon fresh water tank? Where are all the holding tanks
        located?-- I didn't see them. Anyway, I also got an Aqua Jet 65psi
        pump, do you need an accumulator with it? My fresh water tanks are
        under the bed-- three 50 gal tanks built into the frame of the bed
        between the rear wheel tubs. I didn't get a picture of those yet, but I
        welded up the frame using my favorite 1" square steel tubing. The pump
        will be located by the tanks, and the water heater is on the shelf at
        the rear of the bus, so like you say, everything is close together. The
        kitchen and shower will be on the driver's side of the bus, and I am
        using a marine shower sump pump to transfer the waste water to the
        holding tanks. The toilet will be over the holding tank, and my washing
        machine will be on the right side of the bus so plumbing to the holding
        tanks will be no problem.

        Anyway, I posted the pictures of the holding tanks because no one else
        seems to want to do it that way, except for Steve Sanford who put a 100
        gal combination holding tank there in his 35'er.

        See ya!

        --Geoff

        therealtonyw wrote:

        > Hey Geoff,
        > Thats a nice and tidy tank install you have going there. You have
        > them well supported. And more importantly you have them in the
        > correct bay IMHO. You are putting your fresh water tank under your
        > bunk? Are you going w/ a cross asle bathroom or oneside?
        > I ask because I'm looking at your tanks and thinking if you do
        > what I think you are doing you will have almost all your plumbing
        > inside the one bay.
        > I just recently brought our water systems online. I used over
        > 200ft of 1/2in pcv for the fresh water. You could get away w/ 20!I am
        > especially pleased w/ the Sealand 510 Travler marine toilet in
        > conjuction w/ the AquaJet water pump at 65lbs psi! I'll turn its
        > valve down when I'm done showing it off! It works just fine w/ the
        > Shurflo pump at 20-40lbs but it is just plain impressive w/ the
        > higher pressure pump at 65lbs. This was a good choice. We too were
        > going to use a house style commode because of past exsperience w/ r/v
        > stuff. In the 'ol Sportcoach all a bigger pump did was create more
        > leaks! But I built this system and it is tight. 1/2 inch plumbing is
        > an improvement over 3/8 too. Needless to say I'm also happy w/ the
        > shower pressure. I used a 2gpm showerhead and the Aquajet is rated at
        > 5 1/2gpm or thereabouts and it packs a pretty good "sting".
        > Anywho...The tanks look nice!
        > TonyW
        >

        > --- In RTS-bus-nuts@y..., "geoff_rts" <nolids@c...> wrote:
        > > I posted two new pictures of my holding tanks in the photos
        > section.
        > > I installed them in the rear step area after removing the cover
        > that
        > > blocked the side, and after relocating the air dryer and two brake
        > > relays (not to mention the removing rear steps and wheel chair lift
        > > components). The last picture shows three 40 gallon holding tanks
        > > installed and ready to plumb-- two will be used for grey water and
        > the
        > > forward one will be used for a black tank, with a house-type toilet
        > > inside the bus directly over the 3" drain opening. I searched far
        > and
        > > wide for tanks that would fit into this bay, and these fit like a
        > > glove!
        > >
        > > --Geoff
        > > '82 RTS CA

      • Geoff
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
          Hi, Donn

          I guess I could put the toilet away from the holding tank instead of
          directly over it, but since I kept the air tanks in place they are in
          the way to run a 3" sewer line from anywhere else. I was going to use a
          waterbed heater on the holding tanks for freezing weather, but after
          looking at one I decided it was not designed for having a heavy hard
          tank(s) sitting on it. But other people have talked about using a water
          bed heater, I wonder if they actually did it? I don't think I have room
          to plumb copper tubing from the Webasto in there, but I'll take another
          look. I don't plan on camping in freezing weather but it happens, so I
          better be prepared!

          Thanks for the encouragement-- we all need it!

          --Geoff
          '82 RTS CA

        • TheRealTonyW@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2002
            Hey Scott!
            Congrates on getting one of the "bunkers" from the S.W.A.T.! Thats a
            great story and beats the heck outta spending Labor Day Wkend eating 20 yr
            old mid-western bus-dust for 1200 miles.
            I think there are a bunch of reasons for taking out the
            perfectly-iceing-freezeing stock A/C before converting:
            h.p. recovery from the compressor
            space in and above the engine compartment
            eliminates the signboard ducting inside
            upkeep cost whatever that ammounts to.
            Our stock A/C was a real wreck so it wasn't much of a decision. I feel
            sorry for you guys that get perfectly serviceable RTS ll's because I think it
            must be hard tear it all out when there is nothing wrong it.
            Have fun!
            TonyW