Re: [RTS-bus-nuts] Engine ID Information

  • nick ablamis
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2002
      >So, I am already pretty much maxed out as far as horsepower on this engine
      >then, unless I were to turbo it ? As I understand it, 318 is about the best
      >one can expect from an 8v71?

      when I was in the trucking industry the guys with 318 DD took out the 65
      injectors and put in 90's that will boost your horsepower but you will have
      to watch the temp gauge on the hills as it will climb slowly and overheat
      Also a higher gear rearend will help on the hills as you will be at a faster
      speed in second, ask Geoff but i think you will maxx out better in second on
      hills with 4.56 or even 4.10 then pulling it down to 35 with the 5.38 ratio.
      NICK RTS82

    • Dave Zieglgansberger
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2002
        How much of a boost will you get by going to the 90 injectors? As far as gearing
        goes, that is a must do, as I currently Max out at 65 MPH.

        nick ablamis wrote:

        > >So, I am already pretty much maxed out as far as horsepower on this engine
        > >then, unless I were to turbo it ? As I understand it, 318 is about the best
        > >one can expect from an 8v71?
        >
        > when I was in the trucking industry the guys with 318 DD took out the 65
        > injectors and put in 90's that will boost your horsepower but you will have
        > to watch the temp gauge on the hills as it will climb slowly and overheat
        > Also a higher gear rearend will help on the hills as you will be at a faster
        > speed in second, ask Geoff but i think you will maxx out better in second on
        > hills with 4.56 or even 4.10 then pulling it down to 35 with the 5.38 ratio.
        > NICK RTS82

      • Geoff
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2002
          No, no , no-- you don't want to put 90's in your engine! Nick is
          talking about the old days when black smoke from trucks and buses was
          allowable. Even 70's will cause problems. Stick with the 65's (if that
          is what you have, did you pull the valve cover off yet?). As far as
          gearing goes, if you climb a lot of mountains or have low power get the
          4:56 (70 max), or if you are in the flats (or have a 350HP 6V92TA) go
          with the 4:10 (80 max). Max speeds are only for passing.

          --Geoff

        • dwib@juno.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2002
            OK Dave you should also be aware that larger than 65's will cause some
            cylinder wash due to too much fuel being dumped into the cylinder, large
            injectors like that can be installed in the 8v71 with the turbo because
            of the extra air the engine receives, in outher words you will shorten
            the life of that engine considerablly, compaired to what ??? like a race
            car engine ??? how long do they last ???

            If you are thinking about 4:56 gears I think I know where you can get
            some...let me know if you decide on 4:56 gears I will look up his
            number......

            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.