Re: Air Conditioner...Home window style

  • ospee2004
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2005
      They are making rv air conditioners that are basement mount. They
      run off ac power like a roof unit but they are mounted in the belly
      of the bus and ducted through the roof. They cost even more then a
      roof unit but they solve the proublem of a smooth body. I prefer to
      not have the roof clutered with all types of r/v equipment.
      I want to convert an old flxible or a newer rts. With the older
      buses you loose the essense of the old bus look when you add large
      bay windows and roof air. Any way if you google r/v basement a/c you
      can find a basement unit. Once you find the unit you can look
      further by brand and model to find the best price.
      I have a quick question. How does the factory air onb the rts
      work? does it run off the engine or a power unit? Can it be plugged
      in to shore power when you are parked? I live in Texas and it would
      take three or four rv a/c units to keep a bus cool on the road. We
      have a Champion Ultr star motorhome. Its kind of a knock off model
      RTS bus. Any way it has one large roof a/c near the front and it
      barley keeps the unit look warm on the road but works great when
      parked. Any way I was wondering if it would be reasonable to leave
      the bus air in the bus? And if there is a way to run the bus air of
      electric when parked.

      -- In RTS-bus-nuts@yahoogroups.com, "John B." <jwbees@a...> wrote:
      > This is very helpful information. A couple of us here in Ohio,
      who
      > tend to prefer the smooth bus roof look, have been conspiring to
      > find places to mount home window units. We actually thought that
      > they could be found at a better price than the rooftop RV units,
      but
      > maybe that needs to be revisited. What is your impression of
      > overall air conditioner noise of the one type verses the other?
      > I've been thinking that I should also look into current list of
      > solar home gadgets. Maybe someone has come up with a 24V DC window
      > unit that could be used in the RTS during driving. -Would not
      have
      > to run the generator or work an invertor too hard- could go
      directly
      > from the big alternator via the house battery. The other option
      that
      > I am considering is just to construct an automotive
      airconditioning
      > setup with one of those older style large GM compressors being
      > driven by the PTO. For parked use, I would have a separate window
      > style unit powered by shore or generator.
      > John
      >

      > --- In RTS-bus-nuts@yahoogroups.com, sniper7608@a... wrote:
      > > the home unit worked great as a dash unit i split the unit and
      put
      > the
      > > condenser under the bus with a 12 volt fan to cool the condenser
      > ran it off of a
      > > converter and i ran my own ducting on the dash to have dash a/c
      it
      > really
      > > worked very nice
      > > lenny

    • Rick and Lorraine
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2005
        I INSTALLED A CARRIER LOW PROFILE UNIT ON THE ROOF OR MY BUS, IT'S ONLY 7" HIGH, 15000 BTU, PAINTED THE COVER BLACK LIKE THE TOP OF MY BUS, IT DOES NOT STAND OUT AT ALL, IT LOOKS LIKE IT'S PART OF THE ORIGINAL LOOK FO THE BUS. ONLY DRAW BACK IS THE PRICE, IT'S ABOUT $500.00 MORE THAN A STANDARD "CAMPER" AC UNIT.
> [...]

        > to run the generator or work an invertor too hard- could go
        directly
        > from the big alternator via the house battery. The other option
        that
        > I am considering is just to construct an automotive
        airconditioning
        > setup with one of those older style large GM compressors being
        > driven by the PTO. For parked use, I would have a separate window
        > style unit powered by shore or generator.
        > John
        >

        > --- In RTS-bus-nuts@yahoogroups.com, sniper7608@a... wrote:
        > > the home unit worked great as a dash unit i split the unit and
        put
        > the
        > > condenser under the bus with a 12 volt fan to cool the condenser
        > ran it off of a
        > > converter and i ran my own ducting on the dash to have dash a/c

      • Dawg
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 5, 2005
          That low profile Carrier looks like a nice unit. I have been looking at
          the heat pumps as I want to have both heating and cooling. I was
          thinking about home window units. But, have decided on the roof mount
          as being the best for a bus. Why take up space in the bays or walls
          when there is a perfectly good spot (actually two spots) on the roof
          that has no other good purpose? The same btu in window units seem to be
          about the same price as roof mounts. 6-8 hundred.
        • Rondalyn T Morrow
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 5, 2005
            Dion in ohio

            I bought 4 6 k window units at the end of the season for the bus and put
            then in the rear cap area. They seem to work out nicely in that area. I
            ran two one day and you had to put on a sweatshirt. This was running the
            units off of two hundred foot cord. I tested a 12k unit and it did about
            half of the coach. It was fairly warm that day i had no window coverings
            no insulation. I didn't have a way to run all four at full capacity to
            see how cold it would get. But for me I think they will be more that
            enough. they pull only 6 amps each.
            I plugged three into a standard outlet without cords and the all ran just
            fine. I think that I am going to get one more and put it under the front
            just for the driver co-pilot area. at 25 buck a piece I cant go wrong

            87 6v92ta v731 40'
          • Pete
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 5, 2005
              Hi

              Hmmm - where did you find 6k window room A/C for $25

              Pete

              --- In RTS-bus-nuts@yahoogroups.com, Rondalyn T Morrow
              <Morrow916@j...> wrote:
              > Dion in ohio
              >
              > I bought 4 6 k window units at the end of the season for the bus
              and put
              > then in the rear cap area. They seem to work out nicely in that
              area. I
              > ran two one day and you had to put on a sweatshirt. This was
              running the
              > units off of two hundred foot cord. I tested a 12k unit and it did
              about
              > half of the coach. It was fairly warm that day i had no window
              coverings
              > no insulation. I didn't have a way to run all four at full
              capacity to
              > see how cold it would get. But for me I think they will be more that
              > enough. they pull only 6 amps each.
              > I plugged three into a standard outlet without cords and the all
              ran just
              > fine. I think that I am going to get one more and put it under the
              front
              > just for the driver co-pilot area. at 25 buck a piece I cant go
              wrong

              > 87 6v92ta v731 40'
            • Rondalyn T Morrow
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 5, 2005