FAQ Discussion was Re: RTS body panel repair / AKA care and feeding of FRP

  • Ken Wildman
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2004
      --- In RTS-bus-nuts@yahoogroups.com, "Chris and Joy" <cpeters1@c...>
      wrote:
      > Pete, I think this is great info, timely for me personally, so
      thanks
      > a bunch for sharing it.
      >
      > I also however think the FAQ is getting too pregnant. If I put too
      > much in there then newbies are gonna be overwhelmed and not read
      > anything. In fact I was thinking of pull some stuff out.

      Chris:

      Rather than pulling things out of the FAQ file, how about setting up
      sub-folders and using the current FAQ as an index to the individual
      folders? You already use a page reference to go from your index to
      the text sections of the file.

      All you would need to do is to change those page references to file
      references. The FAQ would be just an index and each section of the
      current FAQ would be a separate page.

      This would let you simply add new items as one line in the index and
      add the new file.

      I, for one, find the FAQ an invaluable source of information. I
      would hate to see any of it lost.

      Regards,
      Ken
    • John B.
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2004

        > Chris:
        >
        > Rather than pulling things out of the FAQ file, how about setting
        up
        > sub-folders and using the current FAQ as an index to the
        individual
        > folders? You already use a page reference to go from your index
        > the text sections of the file.
        >
        > All you would need to do is to change those page references to
        file
        > references. The FAQ would be just an index and each section of
        the
        > current FAQ would be a separate page.
        >
        > This would let you simply add new items as one line in the index
        and
        > add the new file.
        >
        > I, for one, find the FAQ an invaluable source of information. I
        > would hate to see any of it lost.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Ken

        Hello Chris:

        I second Ken's idea, and would actually like to see more info in the
        FAQ. Subfolders according to subject matter would be great. I was
        even thinking that as each list member performs an archive subject
        search for a particular topic that is not in the FAQ, could that
        person record the pertinant and helpful post numbers. This sequence
        of post numbers could be listed in FAQ subfolders by topic. Then if
        anyone else comes along and wants to look into that topic, that
        person could go to the pertinant posts in order to answer the
        question, and if anyone checking the chain of posts felt motivated,
        they could write a summary of the posts for the topic so that it
        would be in FAQ format. As the subfolder collection grows, we could
        begin to have the main FAQ section be similar to windows search-by-
        topic help screens. If this idea sounds potentially helpful but
        still sketchy, then I would offer to set up an example on the next
        topic that I do an archive search for, and post it for your review.

        How does this sound to you?
        John
      • Chris and Joy
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2004
          I am going to have to say no to this these ideas for a couple reasons.
          Please read all the way through to see that I am not panning ideas,
          just pointing out inherent limitations with a free yahoo group. If I
          am wrong, and my experience is limited, please email me corrections
          off line. Thanks.

          First, I am not a web page designer, nor do I have enough time to get
          really fancy with this. The FAQ is just supposed to help new members
          get acquainted with the RTS. We have had several people come aboard
          who thought RTS applied to any transit bus made by anyone. After
          reading the FAQ you should get the general idea for sure. Secondly,
          the links that Yahoo uses to individual items is not often the same
          for each person, nor am I sure it stays the same for all time. Here
          is the link to the document I added just the other day:

          http://f5.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4B2UQN4fSpGUaub-y-qGHUr4XgGb5fiBUj_ZYxxjSRY9rLr3X5jjCkSoY5fTqZkJQBXuWefLtjBUJomkrLZK/Advanced%20Topics/frp_repair.txt

          That's a mess. If you look in the faq, you'll see the pictures at the
          top are linked to my personal web site, as I could not get them to
          work if they were inside the group. The link looked like that above
          and would not resolve itself. Yahoo groups can only provide so much
          elegance, for the price they charge, which by the way is nothing.
          Also, Jeff and I do this totally as volunteers, and I need to spend
          alot more time converting than conversing. :)

          Also, it is certianly not that I don't like these ideas, I think they
          are great, but just more than a Yahoo group can offer with its limited
          capabilities, and more than I am personally skilled to offer.

          I was not planning on "loosing" any information in the FAQ, just
          moving it to a file in the Files section. More people also need to
          utilize the search feature of the website. Several questions have
          been asked lately that have been answered before, and 30 seconds of
          searching would have gotten you the answer you need right away. I do
          like the idea of adding the post numbers to information that people
          can go back and read. This could be added to the faq, or a whole new
          page, as a simple subject index. I think we could even make links to
          specific messages, as that Yahoo link is very simple. So, if you do a
          search, and find what you need, and think it was valuable, write it
          down in an email to me, and I will add it somewhere.

          Thanks for the input, we need this kind of stuff to make the site a
          better place for everyone.
        • Daniel Esparza
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2004
            Hi Chris, Danny here,

            I would like to help in any way possible, just let me know what or
            how and I am there :-)

            I have a little bit of experience with web design (i.e.
            rtscoaches.com) and also have my own servers so there would be no
            problem with the amount of space used for the f.a.q. either.

            I don't mind spending time doing these type of projects as I enjoy
            stuff like this and programming.

            Thank you and hope to meet you at Wulf's get together.

            Danny
            Mickey's Back Yard
            Anaheim, CA
            1986 TMC RTS-06
            1979 GMC RTS-II
            1980 GMC RTS-II

            wrote:
> [...]
            > moving it to a file in the Files section. More people also need to
            > utilize the search feature of the website. Several questions have
            > been asked lately that have been answered before, and 30 seconds of
            > searching would have gotten you the answer you need right away. I
            do
            > like the idea of adding the post numbers to information that people
            > can go back and read. This could be added to the faq, or a whole
            new
            > page, as a simple subject index. I think we could even make links
            > specific messages, as that Yahoo link is very simple. So, if you
            do a
            > search, and find what you need, and think it was valuable, write it
            > down in an email to me, and I will add it somewhere.
            >
            > Thanks for the input, we need this kind of stuff to make the site a
          • G. Mann
            Message 5 of 11 , May 1, 2004
              Chris,
              My compliments to you and Jeff for the job well done with the FAQ area.
              My compliments to the group for growing and maturing to the point where something more "exotic" is needed than what Yahoo groups can offer. This started not so long ago as a small group of RTSbusnuts and look how it has grown in information in such a short time.

              Perhaps, an actual RTS website might be the next step if it would give us the tools to keep abreast of the multitude of details that go into doing as one person what a staff of engineers and hundreds of workers did at GMC to build these buses originally.

              Just a thought,
              Grant...
              82RTS......AZ

              Chris and Joy <cpeters1@...> wrote:
[...]

            • michael
              Message 6 of 11 , May 1, 2004
                I really like the Yahoo groups they are easy to use and all right
                here. However I also think we are outgrowing the Yahoo groups.
                Another group I am a member of has moved to a far more advanced
                system (http://www.phpbb.com/). The only thing is we would need a
                web server to run it on. Of course we could build one heck of a
                database and have lots of room for larger pictures. We would also be
                off the Yahoo servers so we wouldn't have banner ads. We would also
                be free from any of the Yahoo server problems, whenever a new virus
                is crashing servers we most likely would be less affected. We
                probably would not have to worry about spam as much either. If I had
                the bandwidth I would offer a server but I cannot help out in that
                way. Just some food for thought.

                Service.

              • Chris and Joy
                Message 7 of 11 , May 1, 2004
                  If we move off Yahoo, which I am not opposed to, at least not totally,
                  we'd need something with a good backup system. I'd hate to put alot
                  of info into a site and lose it all due to HW failures.

                • dave silva
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 2, 2004
                    My two cents;

                    I'm using a web interface package called WebApp (www.webapp.org)

                    It has ALL the features you would want for building an online community.
                    Forums, articles, instant messages, stats, batch email, etc etc.

                    I'm building a fairly simple site for my church (www.ecityemc.org)

                    It's not much to look at but it works great. Especially from the
                    viewpoint of the webmaster, I just set it up and threw them the keys,
                    all the content has been added and maintained by members of the church,
                    none of whom are particularly web savvy.

                    Other features include:

                    Email cloaking, emails can be sent between members but the email address
                    is never on the screen.

                    Backup, all the content is archived in a text file that can be copied or
                    moved should the server have a problem.

                    Database and survey functions.

                    I'm renting 800 megs of space for $11/month

                    I don't claim any particular expertise but I've been building web
                    communities since the beginning of time (1995)

                    I think BNO is a terrific board but it depends too much on the efforts
                    and opinions of one person. Ian does a great job but it seems like too
                    much work for me.

                    An system like WebApp would allow the group to assign a variety of
                    moderators with different levels of control and access top maintain the
                    site.

                    Feel free to respond here or email me privately if anyone wants to
                    discuss this further.

                    Dave Silva

> [...]

                    > moving it to a file in the Files section. More people also need to
                    > utilize the search feature of the website. Several questions have
                    > been asked lately that have been answered before, and 30 seconds of
                    > searching would have gotten you the answer you need right away. I
                    do
                    > like the idea of adding the post numbers to information that people
                    > can go back and read. This could be added to the faq, or a whole
                    new
                    > page, as a simple subject index. I think we could even make links
                    > specific messages, as that Yahoo link is very simple. So, if you
                    do a
                    > search, and find what you need, and think it was valuable, write it
                    > down in an email to me, and I will add it somewhere.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the input, we need this kind of stuff to make the site a

                    Service.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links