Re: [RTB Discussion Group] Creation or Evolution?

  • Danny Faulkner
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 11, 2003
      Everyone agrees that the Hebrew word "yom" CAN, as the English word
      "day," mean a period of time, whether long or short. However, the
      question is not whether yom CAN mean a period of time, but rather the
      question is what is the most likely intended meaning in the context in
      which it is used? There are a number of textual reasons why the
      intended meaning is a normal day. Those who want "yom" here to mean a
      long period of time seem to me to be asking what meaning can they come
      away with from the creation account rather than what does the passage
      actually say. The danger of such an exigetical method ought to be
      obvious.
      Danny

      Danny R. Faulkner
      a stellar astronomer
      drfaulkn@...
    • Kurt Streutker <kurt_streutker@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 11, 2003
        Re-Interpretations such as day-age, `gap' theory, theistic evolution,
        progressive creation, local flood and so on are all compromise views
        that are the result of reinterpreting the book of Genesis by people
        who have tried to add millions of years to the Bible.

        It's interesting to note that those Christians who believe in
        billions of years can't consistently allow for a global flood.
        If the layers of fossil-bearing rock had been laid down over millions
        of years, then a global flood would have eroded all of these layers
        and redeposited them. Thus, people who believe in millions of years
        recognize it is totally inconsistent to hold to millions of years for
        the age of fossil-bearing rocks and at the same time believe in a
        global flood. The idea of a local flood—held by progressive
        creationists such as Hugh Ross—is yet another one of the compromises
        to add millions of years to the Bible.

        The real issue is When does DAY mean DAY and how do we know when day
        means day. The issue is not that fact that it can have more than one
        meaning as pointed out in the following sentence, "Back in my
        father's 'day'it took 10 'days' to drive across the US during
        the 'day'."

        This sentence illustrates how the word `day' can have three different
        meanings in the one sentence.

        The first meaning of the word day here is time.

        The second meaning of the word means an ordinary day of 24 hours.

        The third meaning of the word day here means the daylight portion of
        a day.

        You can then use this observation to say that any word can have two
        or more meanings dependant upon context. CONTEXT is Key!

        The Hebrew word for day (`yom') does have a number of different
        meanings. So the point should not be that the Hebrew word for day can
        mean something other than an ordinary day, BUT to look at the
        contextual usage of the word to determine which meaning it should
        have in that particular passage.

        Now consider the uses of 'day' outside of Genesis 1

        In the Bible we see four examples of how the word day is used outside
        of Genesis 1 to mean an ordinary day. Excluding Genesis 1, whenever
        the word day is used with a number (over 400 times) it always means
        an ordinary day—there are no exceptions.

        Whenever the phrase `evening and morning' is used outside of Genesis
        1 without the word day (38 times) it always means an ordinary day—no
        exception. Whenever the words `evening' and `morning' are used
        individually with the word day (in fact 23 times each) outside of
        Genesis 1, the word day always means an ordinary day.

        Whenever the word `night' is used with the word day (52 times outside
        of Genesis 1) the word day always means an ordinary day. In other
        words, whenever the word day is used with a number, or with the words
        evening or morning, or with the word night, or whenever the
        phrase `evening and morning' is used, outside of Genesis 1 the Hebrew
        word for day always means an ordinary day, or the phrase evening
        morning means an ordinary day.

        So why does the word Day come into question only on Genesis 1. The
        is not doubt of the usage of YOM in every other passage of
        scripture. Note that in Genesis 1 God uses every way to make it
        clear that God intended to convey the concept of a literal ordinary
        day.

        --- In RTB_Discussion_Group@yahoogroups.com, "Danny Faulkner"
        <faulkner@g...> wrote:
        > Everyone agrees that the Hebrew word "yom" CAN, as the English word
        > "day," mean a period of time, whether long or short. However, the
        > question is not whether yom CAN mean a period of time, but rather
        the
        > question is what is the most likely intended meaning in the context
        in
        > which it is used? There are a number of textual reasons why the
        > intended meaning is a normal day. Those who want "yom" here to
        mean a
        > long period of time seem to me to be asking what meaning can they
        come
        > away with from the creation account rather than what does the
        passage
        > actually say. The danger of such an exigetical method ought to be
        > obvious.
        > Danny
        >
        > Danny R. Faulkner
        > a stellar astronomer
        > drfaulkn@g...
      • Caleb Lewis
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 11, 2003
          All,

          Unfortunately, due to the number of individual responses generated by
          my post, I no longer have the time to stay in the debate. Though I would
          very much like to, I have other obligations that require my time. Though, I
          will say in conclusion a response to the wording and tone of what is
          written by Mark below. It is responses like this that make Young Earth
          Creationism appear to me and the rest of the rational intellectual world to
          lack credibility and rationality. My personal advice is that if you wish to
          have people take your position more seriously, to start acting and
          presenting your ideas in a more rational manner.

          In Christ,
          Caleb Lewis

          --On Tuesday, February 11, 2003 9:37 AM -0800 Mark E Penn
          <krinks@...> wrote:

          > Debatable, as shown. And it's crazy to weigh one disputable example
          > against over 350 clear ones!
          >

          > Mark: Well done my friend. Then again the compromisers never let the
          > truth get in the way of a good lie! When you read a meaning
          > into the texts you are making yourself God. You are not humble enough to
          > recognize that God is soveriegn enough on his own to tell you what he did
          > and how he did it. He is somehow lacking or maybe Moses was ignorant.
          > WRONG ANSWER RW! You are NOT God, nor where you there! Only a fool would
          > contradict the word of God based on thier own reasoning. Do you not fear
          > God???? Have you no sense of the repercussions of perverting his word in
          > spite of the many warnings not to do exactly that(Exodus and
          > Revelation)???????

          > Providing a critique of the views of Hugh Ross and encourages members to
          > "Question the Assumptions of Naturalism" which are foundational to OEC at
          > http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/qa.asp

        • Mark E Penn
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 11, 2003
            All,

            Unfortunately, due to the number of individual responses generated by
            my post, I no longer have the time to stay in the debate. Though I would
            very much like to, I have other obligations that require my time. Though, I
            will say in conclusion a response to the wording and tone of what is
            written by Mark below. It is responses like this that make Young Earth
            Creationism appear to me and the rest of the rational intellectual world to
            lack credibility and rationality. My personal advice is that if you wish to
            have people take your position more seriously, to start acting and
            presenting your ideas in a more rational manner.

            In Christ,
            Caleb Lewis

            Mark: Taking "my" position seriously is largely irrelevant. I(we) point out the errors in judgement and fact that result in your position, but can not force folks to accept them. Sorry but God is soveriegn and you aren't. It really is that simple.

          • calebsquanta <muaddib7@unm.edu>
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 13, 2003
              Mark,

              Yes, but if you do not present those "errors" in a rational,
              intellectual manner, then your efforts will be in vain. Jesus said
              that we must be as shrewd as serpents, as such, you need to be wiser
              in how you present your ideas to others. Otherwise, they will bear no
              fruit.

              In Christ,
              Caleb Lewis

              --- In RTB_Discussion_Group@yahoogroups.com, "Mark E Penn"

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
                I am sorry but it WAS rational. When someone does not believe the clear word of God and instead they put thier own ideas above his, the person in question has elevated himself to a plane equal to or above the Lord and his word. What other basis is there for a person doubting the word of God and placing thier own ideas on a plane that supercedes it unless this person has not submitted to the authority of the living God? So you see, it IS the case that 'you' aren't God. As soon as 'you' realize this, God's word will take its proper place above you in authority, not next to you or below you, but ABOVE.

                Mark

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
                  Mark,

                  I was merely saying not that your idea was irrational, but the
                  way you expressed it, and are continuing to do so.

                  In Christ,
                  Caleb Lewis

                  --On Friday, February 14, 2003 11:49 AM -0800 Mark E Penn
                  <krinks@...> wrote:

                  > I am sorry but it WAS rational. When someone does not
                  > believe the clear word of God and instead they put thier own
                  > ideas above his, the person in question has elevated himself
                  > to a plane equal to or above the Lord and his word. What
                  > other basis is there for a person doubting the word of God
                  > and placing thier own ideas on a plane that supercedes it
                  > unless this person has not submitted to the authority of the
                  > living God? So you see, it IS the case that 'you' aren't
                  > God. As soon as 'you' realize this, God's word will take its
                  > proper place above you in authority, not next to you or
                  > below you, but ABOVE.

                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 14, 2003
                    Mark,

                    Perhaps the term, "professional" may be a better, though.

                    In Christ,
                    Caleb Lewis

                    --On Friday, February 14, 2003 2:07 PM -0700 Caleb Lewis <muaddib7@...>

                  • FAZALE RANA
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 16, 2003
                      Behold the raven who chides his color.
                      Mark E Penn <krinks@...> wrote:I am sorry but it WAS rational. When someone does not believe the clear word of God and instead they put thier own ideas above his, the person in question has elevated himself to a plane equal to or above the Lord and his word. What other basis is there for a person doubting the word of God and placing thier own ideas on a plane that supercedes it unless this person has not submitted to the authority of the living God? So you see, it IS the case that 'you' aren't God. As soon as 'you' realize this, God's word will take its proper place above you in authority, not next to you or below you, but ABOVE.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 16, 2003
                        Behold the raven who chides his color.

                        Mark: For all the times you were directly challenged to defend your views and Ross' in light of his many lies and your defense of him, this is the only thing you have to say for yourself and for him?????????? How cowardly of you.

                      • bibleprophecy_ndbpsa
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 11, 2003
                          Science attempts to prove with its scientific measurements that this earth is far older than the years accounted in the recorded history of the Holy Bible. Science finds specimens and woolly mammoths frozen in ice allegedly millions of years older than earth's history recorded in God's Word. Science concludes, then, that God's Word is not literally true (Thy word is true from the beginning: . . . Ps.119.160).

                          What science has proven (should science be accurate) is that God created upon this earth prior to Genesis 1:1-31, 2:1-3.

                          God destroyed all prior creation (as we see at Gen.1:2 � "And the earth was without form, and void; . . .") to bring forth man created in God's likeness (Gen.1:26), with an unbroken lineage beginning with Adam.

                          God will create again - a new heaven and a new earth (Re.21:1, Isa.65:17) after the Millennium, after the battle of Gog and Magog (Re.20:7-10).

                          Therefore, I conclude that nothing of God's prior creation survived to give man the lineage of apes. We begin with Adam and Eve, as it is written.

                          Pat (ndbpsa) http://netministries.org/see/charmin/CM00407

                        • Patricia

                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 14, 2004
                                God destroyed all prior creation (as we see at Gen.1:2 - "And
                                the earth was without form, and void; . . .) to bring forth man
                                created in God's likeness (Gen.1:26), with an unbroken lineage
                                beginning with Adam.

                                God will create again - a new heaven and a new earth (Re.21:1,
                                Isa.65:17) after the Millennium, after the battle of Gog and Magog
                                (Re.20:7-10).

                                Therefore, I conclude that nothing of God's prior creation survived
                                to give man the lineage of apes. We begin with Adam and Eve, as it
                                is written.

                                Mark: Please explain further please.