naive question from a non-technical researcher

  • c.i.macafee@rgu.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2006
      I'm a researcher in Communication and Lnanguages at the Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen, Scotland. The project involves looking at gender differences amongst British bloggers. This is based mostly on a questionnaire sent out to bloggers, but I also want to have a good understanding of what tools like Technorati, Blogshares, and so on, can tell me about a given blog. One of the things that I don't understand - and where I would very much appreciate guidance - is this: what determines the fact that feeds return different time depths of postings? For instance, the feed from one blog might go back six months, another only four (although the blog was in existence for much longer). Is it simply a matter of the carrying capacity of feeds? Or are there other factors at work?

      Thank you

      Dr Caroline Macafee
    • hydeNobuyuki
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2006
        Hello,

        I think it's typically up to the author and the tools they are using.
        Many tools allow authors to publish the latest n number of items, or
        the entries from a time frame; However, if you have items once a
        month you will likely have items from a larger time frame than if
        you have items created several times a day.

        A blog may have 400 items, but may only have a feed to publish the
        last 10 items. This might ensure that regular subscribers don't
        have to download very large feeds and in some cases allows authors
        to hide and charge for previous content.

        In the end, the author should decide how many items (or how large of
        a time frame) their rss feed should carry.

        With Regards,

        Derek Nobuyuki Wallace
        iGEN Knowledge Solutions
        http://www.igen.ca