FYI: Feed History extension

  • Mark Nottingham
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005
      RSS2ers,

      I've put together the draft announced below as a way to allow feeds'
      history to be
      reconstructed; e.g., if Scripting News supported this (by adding one
      tag to the feed and
      archived feed headers), you could track Dave's writings back to the
      very beginning,
      automatically.

      Note that it's submitted to the Atom WG, but it's equally applicable
      to RSS; there are RSS2
      examples, and there shouldn't be any overhead or problem.

      I've modified my blog feed to demonstrate it:
      http://www.mnot.net/blog/index.rdf
      (this is only RSS1.0, but you should be able to get the idea)

      Comments and suggestions much appreciated,

      [[[
      directories.

      Title : Feed History: Enabling Stateful Syndication
      Author(s) : M. Nottingham
      Filename : draft-nottingham-atompub-feed-history-01.txt
      Pages : 10
      Date : 2005-7-1

      This document specifies mechanisms that allow feed publishers to give
      hints about the nature of the feed's statefulness, and a means of
      retrieving "missed" entries from a stateful feed.

      A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
      http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nottingh
      am-atompub-feed-history-01.txt

      To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
      i-d-announce-request at ietf.org with the word unsubscribe in the
      body of the message.
      You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/l
      istinfo/I-D-announce
      to change your subscription settings.

      Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
      username
      "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
      type "cd internet-drafts" and then
      "get draft-nottingham-atompub-feed-history-01.txt".

      http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

      Send a message to:
      mailserv at ietf.org.
      In the body type:
      "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-at
      ompub-feed-history-01.txt".

      NOTE: The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
      MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility. To use this
      command. To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack"
      or
      a MIME-compliant mail reader. Different MIME-compliant mail
      readers
      "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been
      split
      up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation
      on
      how to manipulate these messages.

      Internet-Draft.
      <ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nottingh
      am-atompub-feed-history-01.txt>
      ]]]
    • Mark Nottingham
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16, 2005
        The Feed history extension has been updated:
        http://purl.org/syndication/history/1.0

        It now has a namespace, so that we can gain implementation experience. If you implement
        -- on the client or server side -- I'd love to hear about it.

        Cheers,