What is the practice for RSS feed updates and duplicate handling

  • Frédéric Laruelle
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2004
      How are RSS feeds typically updated?, i.e.:
      - are old elements removed? (if so, what is the ageing process?)
      - how do you deal with publishing multiple times the same element(s)?
      is removing duplicates the responsibility of the reader?

      Are these topics addressed in a specification or earlier thread?

      Thank you kindly.

      Frederic Laruelle.
    • Randy Morin
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2004
        >are old elements removed?
        Yes, generally RSS feeds remain a fixed length of <item>s and as new
        <item>s are added to the front, old <item>s drop off the back. I
        maintain exactly 24 <item>s in my RSS file. Most blogging system also
        work on a fixed number of <item>s in the RSS feed.

        > - how do you deal with publishing multiple times the same element
        (s)?
        Generally, you don't publish the same items multiple times, but
        that's not a rule, just a guideline. You should respect the intent of
        the author.

        Hope this helps,

        Randy
        http://www.kbcafe.com