Re: Enclosures, multiple formats

  • Danny Ayers
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2004
      A little update for rss-dev, some pointers from the Podcasting list
      relating to the RSS 2.0 approach to mp3+BitTorrent enclosures. I
      wasn't missing anything, the proposal just takes a rather unexpected
      approach, creating a new namespace and term to support a single extra
      mime type.

      It seems the reasoning for not using multiple enclosure elements in an
      item is in part due to the /implication/ in the RSS 2.0 spec that an
      item will only have one <enclosure> element, also because: "I think
      when you go all the way down the multiple enclosures path you'll have
      completely reinvented the RSS item inside the enclosure (inside the
      item)." [1].

      (I don't actually think anyone was actually suggesting going "...all
      the way down the multiple enclosures path", just multiple elements
      when the same recording was available in different formats/mime types,
      i.e. mp3 and BitTorrent).

      Anyhow, here are some refs:

      David Janes -
      As you say, in this (http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss) all elements
      that can be repeated (e.g. <item>) are explicitly marked as so. Also this
      (http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/enclosuresAggregators) says "allows an
      item to have _an_ enclosure".

      Ross Wm. Rader points to
      http://www.byte.org/index.xml

      which has an item containing multiple <enclosure /> elements.

      David Janes (re-)proposes using an additional link element *inside*
      the enclosure:
      <enclosure
      url="http://.../sixteen.mp3"
      length="56248320"
      type="audio/mpeg">
      <link:link
      rel="delivery"
      type="application/x-bittorrent"
      url="http://.../sixteen.torrent" />
      </enclosure>

      Jerry Brown points to Ray Slakinski's <podcast:attachment> proposal,
      http://ipodderx.com/podcastRSSModule

      Turns out there is a comment space for Dave Winer's proposal:
      [1] http://www.ipodder.org/2004/11/26#a601

      --

      http://dannyayers.com