RSS 2.0 Problem: Different Feeds Order XML Elements Differently

  • eogreen71
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2004
      In developing a client aggregator for RSS 2.0, I have noticed that
      different RSS providers on the web order their XML elements
      differently. This breaks my XML processor (JAXB) because the XML
      schema that I developed can't handle the different element ordering
      across different streams. Has anyone faced a similar problem?

      Thx,
      Eric Green
      Austin, TX
    • Bill Kearney
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2004
        Never depend on ordering. Especially not in an RSS-1.0 feed.

        -Bill Kearney
        Syndic8.com

        > In developing a client aggregator for RSS 2.0, I have noticed that
        > different RSS providers on the web order their XML elements
        > differently. This breaks my XML processor (JAXB) because the XML
        > schema that I developed can't handle the different element ordering
        > across different streams. Has anyone faced a similar problem?
      • Randy Morin
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14, 2004
          Unfortunately, RSS 2.0 and Atom are not XSD friendly, that is, you
          can't write proper strict XSD to describe either. Rather you have to
          write a lax XSD, which has been done. The best such lax schema was
          written by Jorgen Thelin.
          http://www.thearchitect.co.uk/weblog/archives/2003/06/000187.html
          Hope this helps,

          Randy