Relative URL:s

  • Hans-Eric Grönlund
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
      Hi!

      Can I use relative URL:s (relative to the RSS feed document) for the
      link element? Does aggrevators support that?

      Many thanks

      Hans-Eric Grönlund
    • Randy Morin
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2004
        Relative URLs do not work w/ most aggregators. I would avoid them.

        Randy
        http://www.kbcafe.com

        --- In RSS2-Support@yahoogroups.com, Hans-Eric Grönlund
        <hangro@g...> wrote:

        > Hi!
        >
        > Can I use relative URL:s (relative to the RSS feed document) for
        the
        > link element? Does aggrevators support that?
        >
        > Many thanks
        >
        > Hans-Eric Grönlund
      • Bill Kearney
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2004
          > Can I use relative URL:s (relative to the RSS feed document) for the
          > link element? Does aggrevators support that?

          No, most aggregators don't support it and with good reason. It's always
          possible an item in a feed might get re-aggregator out to another feed. It
          becomes uneccesarily tedious for the aggregators invovled to "figure out"
          what the base portion of the URL "should be".

          Yes, it might offer a degree of "bit stingy-ness" that saved a few
          characters for each URL. But on balance against the hassles it causes it's
          not usually worth it.

          This is different from what might used as an identifier for an item.

          -Bill Kearney
          Syndic8.com
        • Houghton,Andrew
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2004

            Actually, there is no "good reason" why aggregators should not
            support relative URL's. It's not that difficult and the
            argument given about re-aggregation is weak at best. An
            aggregator should be able to detect an appropriate xml:base
            attribute and construct an absolute URL from the relative URL.
            If they pass the feed along, they can pass the appropriate
            xml:base attribute or the absolute URL's they constructed.

            Andy.
          • Randy Morin
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 8, 2004
              Andy,
              Agreed. Unfortunately, most aggregators don't. So, I would advise
              against xml:base and relative URLs. In fact, all of the RSS
              validators [1], last I remember, will reject any such cuteness,
              including my own Schematron-based validator [2].
              Thanks,

              Randy
              http://www.kbcafe.com

              [1] http://feedvalidator.org