Insidious RSS 2.0 error

  • charlie_whale
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2004
      Hiya,

      Here's the pesky file:
      http://www.gadgetshop.com/eshop/rss/gadgetshop.xml

      I've a copy of it up at:
      http://www.bigmouthdesign.co.uk/gd.xml

      FeedValidator approves the feed (sorry, UserLand's validator is 404
      on me) but I can't get Syndic8 or Yahoo to accept it. Both say that
      it doesn't look like an RSS2.0. I've had the people at Syndic8 look
      at the dratted things and they can't figure it out either.

      I think the feed is valid. It's 100%. Someone suggested adding DTDs
      but isn't that for RSS1.0 or non-standard attributes in RSS2.0?
      Everything here is standard.

      On the first URL there's a strange content-type header of
      application/rss+xml - which is why I have the second URL as a test.
      The content-type header there is standard text/xml.

      I suppose the only fair thing to ask the group is: is this a valid
      feed?
      The question I'd really like to ask the group is: why is this feed
      causing problems? What's strange about it?
    • Mark Fletcher
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27, 2004
        charlie_whale wrote:

        >Hiya,
        >
        >Here's the pesky file:
        >http://www.gadgetshop.com/eshop/rss/gadgetshop.xml
        >
        >I've a copy of it up at:
        >http://www.bigmouthdesign.co.uk/gd.xml
        >
        >FeedValidator approves the feed (sorry, UserLand's validator is 404
        >on me) but I can't get Syndic8 or Yahoo to accept it. Both say that
        >it doesn't look like an RSS2.0. I've had the people at Syndic8 look
        >at the dratted things and they can't figure it out either.

        The feed does indeed appear valid, and Bloglines doesn't have a problem
        parsing it. My guess is that Syndic8 and Yahoo don't recognize it as a
        UTF-16 encoded feed, and so barf on it. The thing about UTF-16 is that
        it's specified using the first two bytes in the feed, called the BOM. If
        those bytes are 255 and 254, respectively, then you have a UTF-16 feed
        and need to decode it appropriately.

        Many thanks to Sam Ruby and Mark Pilgrim, who have put together a
        wonderful set of conformance/test feeds for Atom. That's how we were
        alerted to this particular issue (Bloglines' parser still has a couple
        of conformance issues, but we're working on them.).

        Mark
        --
        Mark Fletcher
        Bloglines
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 27, 2004
          > The feed does indeed appear valid, and Bloglines doesn't have a problem
          > parsing it. My guess is that Syndic8 and Yahoo don't recognize it as a
          > UTF-16 encoded feed, and so barf on it. The thing about UTF-16 is that
          > it's specified using the first two bytes in the feed, called the BOM. If
          > those bytes are 255 and 254, respectively, then you have a UTF-16 feed
          > and need to decode it appropriately.

          Does it need to be expressed in UTF-16? I'd wonder how many aggregators would
          be able to read it?

          I'm not saying that's not a problem, as UTF-16 is a perfectly valid concept when
          needed.

          -Bill Kearney
          Syndic8.com