RE: [RSS2-Support] Re: Is xml:lang valid in an RSS Feed? Extended Attributes?

  • Bob Wyman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2004
      houghta wrote:
      > The RSS 2.0 specification says to use the Netscape
      > codes or W3C codes and the W3C codes are based on RFC1766 which is
      > based upon ISO 639-1. So my interpretation is that you cannot
      > use "mul" (multiple) or "und" (undetermined) from ISO 639-2.
      But, the w3c documents point to RFC1766 as well as what was
      then an Internet Draft but is now RFC3066. The reference to RFC3066 is
      indirect. Nonetheless, I think it is clear that it is intended. (To
      see this, follow the footnote in the W3C document.[1] You'll find:

      [RFC1766]
      "Tags for the Identification of Languages", H. Alvestrand, March
      1995.
      RFC1766 is expected to be updated by
      http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts
      /draft-alvestrand-lang-tags-v2-00.txt, currently a work in
      progress.

      Given this, I think it is fair to say that RSS V.20 delegates
      the definition of languages tags to W3C and W3C delegated that task to
      IETF which incorporates the tags from both ISO 639-1 and ISO 639-2
      while adding some additional tags and establishing a procedure to
      register more. Given this, it really does seem to me that "mul" and
      "und" are legal language values for RSS V2.0 as written. Is this
      reasonable given the additional explanation above?

      bob wyman

      [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/references.html#ref-RFC1766