FW: [RSS-DEV] usability of RSS links

  • Danny Ayers
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2004
      fyi, on rss-dev :

      (me:)
      > If the users are following the RSS link from a HTML browser, one
      > possible
      > approach to giving them more information is to provide CSS styling to
      > render
      > the XML legible, as the W3C do with their feed:
      >
      > http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/home.rss

      (Lucas Gonze:)
      That's a good idea. That clears up the "ugly mess of angle brackets"
      problem, and the atom:info trick clears up the issue of explaining what
      the page is.

      This particular feed is RSS 2.0, so I can't use the atom.css file from
      http://www.shellen.com/sandbox/atom-info-proposal.html verbatim. I had
      to do two things to make it work in RSS 2.0. First, I copied just the
      "info" class from atom.css into a separate file on the web server.
      Second, I added the following to my RSS template:

      <rss version="2.0"
      xmlns:viewinbrowser="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rss-dev/message/
      6058">
      <viewinbrowser:info>This page is intended to be viewed in an RSS
      newsreader. For a non-technical explanation of what this means, please
      do a web search for "intro to RSS."</viewinbrowser:info>

      Desirable improvements:
      * A real URL for the namespace.
      * Much prettier CSS.
      * The ability to embed links in the info element, so the user isn't
      just stranded.

      BTW, I got the RSS feed working today, looks pretty good. Thanks to
      all for assistance.

      - Lucas

      > Another step in the same direction is to provide further information
      > with an
      > additional <atom:info> element, as described here:
      >
      > http://www.shellen.com/sandbox/atom-info-proposal.html
      >
      > (this is designed for Atom, but the technique would be consistent with
      > all
      > XML versions of RSS).
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Danny.