Re: RSS 2.0 amendments process?

  • petite_lapin_blue
    Message 1 of 36 , Oct 4, 2003
      Dear Mr "him",

      On Friday, Oct 3, 2003, at 20:38 Europe/Amsterdam, houghtoa wrote:

      > You missed the point, but worst, are reckless about bandwidth issues.

      You are presuming a very narrow usage pattern. And what's wrong with http
      encoding?

      > "Adverse" is rather strong.

      "Adverse" is to the point. If you use any type of aggregate format you will need a two
      steps process: get a "bill of materials". Then get the content. It would be very
      unfortunate if to get the BOM you need to get the entire content.

      > Surely this was sarcasm. How can you comment that it's just like mail attachments.

      Surely it was. I happen to have some exposure to the inner working of email:

      http://zoe.nu/

      This doesn't make me an authority on the matter though.

      > You missed the point again.

      Nope. I got your point. But perhaps you didn't get mine. Which is ok. We could agree
      to disagree.

      > As someone else pointed out, if you don't want to use an archiving mechanism
      > then use multiple items, yet another solution for working *within*
      > the current specification.

      Ok. Let me illustrate my "circumstances" more concretely. This will most likely require
      a great leap of faith on your side, but I'm sure you can manage.

      Lets assume that I want to publish a RSS item regarding a forthcoming meeting. The
      meeting is about some random corporate activities. I also spent some time preparing
      supporting materials for this forthcoming event: a document describing the agenda, a
      spreadsheet with some nice pie charts and a presentation outline. Those materials are
      related to this event. They are not random artifacts. Now, if I want to attach this
      material with my RSS item, what do I do?

      (1) I use one enclosure and package all the materials in some sort of archive.
      Workable for sure. But cumbersome. And I'm loosing the information about what's in
      the archive. Instead of a Word document, an Excel spreadsheet and a PowerPoint
      presentation, I now have an amorphous blob. Sure, I could dig into this archive to
      retrieve its content. But then I will need to make the assumption that this archive is
      just a wrapper for its content. And not the content itself. How do I distinguish
      between an enclosure which points to an archive and an enclosure which point to a
      wrapper? This introduce ambiguity of intend.

      (2) I create multiple RSS item for this event: perhaps one for the event itself. And one
      for each document. Something like: here is the event. And here is a document. And
      here is a spreadsheet. And here is a presentation. Workable for sure. But I lose the
      "unity of action". Instead of having one RSS item with some attached materials, I now
      have four different items with nothing to link them together. Sounds like a dead end
      to me.

      (3) I create one RSS item with multiple enclosures. End of the story. Unity of action.
      No ambiguity.

      Cheers,

      PA.

      P.S.

      Why don't you also apply your phenomenal analytical power to the other three topics
      at hand? Would love to hear your personal take on them.
    • petite_lapin_blue
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 4, 2003