Re: [RSS2-Support] How do you resttict access to RSS Feed

  • Bill Kearney
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
      A follow up question, why is this needed?

      If you're trying to guard intranet data that's one thing. If you're trying to
      tailor feeds intended for public consumption there are other ways to handle it.

      Intranet stuff is relatively easy, guard it to being delivered only to IP
      addresses that are on a fixed range of known IP addresses. Force the remote
      users to connect via a VPN link. This will require some technical configuration
      issues and possibly purchasing the right network routers, firewalls and/or other
      pieces. This works via dial-up, Wifi and nearly anything else that supports
      regular IP traffic.

      For public sites you've got other choices. One would be purchasing an
      IP-to-geographic lookup system. Several exist but only the commerical ones are
      worth bothering with. The freebies are just not accurate enough, let alone
      speedy enough. Or doing some sort of other processing to collect your own list
      of valid IP ranges. This is fraught with hackable risks though.

      So the question remains, what sort of content and audience are you talking about
      here?

      -Bill Kearney