domain attribute for

  • Emmanuel Décarie
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2003
      Hello,

      I have some questions about the domain attribute of the category element.

      The RSS 2.0 define a "domain" attribute for the category element.

      Then it says:

      " The value of the element is a forward-slash-separated string that identifies a
      hierarchic location in the indicated taxonomy."

      Are we talking here about the attribute or the content of element? It look to me that
      we are talking about the content of the element but I'm not sure.

      Also, the exemple give an URL for example for the domain attribute. But it doesn't
      look that its required to be an URL:

      "It has one optional attribute, domain, a string that identifies a categorization
      taxonomy."

      Cant I put there any value for the domain attribute, like an integer of an XPath?

      I'm asking this because I use a subset of RSS 2.0 as a data modeling model for quizs,

      Its remotely related to the QTILite Specification, which is an effort to formalize in
      XML tests containing questions/responses .

      Here's an example of the QTILite spec.

      http://www.imsproject.org/question/qtiv1p2/imsqti_litev1p2.html#1405017

      TIA

      -Emmanuel
    • Dave Winer
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2003
        Here's an example, perhaps this will help:

        <someElement someatt="someatt's value">someElement's value</someElement>

        Dave

        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2003
          --- In RSS2-Support@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Winer" <dave@u...> wrote:
          > Here's an example, perhaps this will help:
          >
          > <someElement someatt="someatt's value">someElement's value</someElement>
          >
          > Dave

          Thanks Dave for the reply. So, I infer from what you are saying that the domain
          attribute value can be anything? Is that right?

          If so, I still don't get what the spec is saying here:

          " The value of the element is a forward-slash-separated string that identifies a
          hierarchic location in the indicated taxonomy."

          I'm still puzzled.

          Cheers

          -Emmanuel
        • Dave Winer
          Message 4 of 11 , May 8, 2003
            Go with what the spec says Emmanuel. I don't know what other words to say. Dave
            > Here's an example, perhaps this will help:
            >
            > <someElement someatt="someatt's value">someElement's value</someElement>
            >
            > Dave

            Thanks Dave for the reply. So, I infer from what you are saying that the domain
            attribute value can be anything? Is that right?

            If so,  I still don't get what the spec is saying  here:

            " The value of the element is a forward-slash-separated string that identifies a
            hierarchic location in the indicated taxonomy."

            I'm still puzzled.

            Cheers

            -Emmanuel

          • Danny Ayers
            Message 5 of 11 , May 8, 2003
              I think it's possibly a typo - the word 'element' I've highlighted below should maybe read 'attribute' to be consistent with the example.

              It has one optional attribute, domain, a string that identifies a categorization taxonomy.

              The value of the *element* is a forward-slash-separated string that identifies a hierarchic location in the indicated taxonomy. Processors may establish conventions for the interpretation of categories. Two examples are provided below:

              <category>Grateful Dead</category>

              <category domain="http://www.fool.com/cusips">MSFT</category>

              from:

              Message 6 of 11 , May 8, 2003
                Thanks Danny,

                It makes more sense but I'm still puzzled by the "forward-slash-separated string".
                From what I gather from Dave's previous anwer, you can put any string as value for
                the domain attribute. But the reference to "forward-slash-separated string" look to
                me as an URI. OTH, the spec doesn't say that its the domain attribute is required to
                be a "forward-slash-separated string" to be valid.

                So I'm seeing some contradictions or confusion here. Maybe its just my perception.

                Cheers

                -Emmanuel

                Message 7 of 11 , May 8, 2003
                  It's not a URI, it's a forward-slash separated string.

                  World/North America/Canada/Quebec/Montreal

                  It indicates a place in a directory. If your directory doesn't like forward slashes, you can have a single entry:

                  Montreal

                  It's just a suggestion that if you're going to represent a hierarchy that you use a forward slash as a delimiter.

                  Nothing more going on there.

                  Dave
                  It makes more sense but I'm still puzzled by the "forward-slash-separated string".
                  From what I gather from Dave's previous anwer, you can put any string as value for

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 8, 2003
                    Ok, I got it now. Nothing like an example that is close to home :).

                    Cheers

                    -Emmanuel

                    --- In RSS2-Support@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Winer" <dave@u...> wrote:
                    > It's not a URI, it's a forward-slash separated string.
                    >
                    > World/North America/Canada/Quebec/Montreal
                    >
                    > It indicates a place in a directory. If your directory doesn't like forward slashes, you
                    can have a single entry:

                    > Montreal
                    >
                    > It's just a suggestion that if you're going to represent a hierarchy that you use a
                    forward slash as a delimiter.

                    > Nothing more going on there.
                  • Bill Kearney
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 8, 2003
                      Then how do you 'share' a hierarchy with another source?

                      Is it /required/ to be *only* a delimited string? A URL is a delimited string.

                      http://www.example.com/taxonomy/1.0/ is
                      http:
                      /
                      /
                      www.example.com
                      taxonomy
                      1.0

                      -Bill Kearney

                      It makes more sense but I'm still puzzled by the "forward-slash-separated
                      string".
                      From what I gather from Dave's previous anwer, you can put any string as value
                      for
                      the domain attribute. But the reference to "forward-slash-separated string"
                      look to
                      me as an URI. OTH, the spec doesn't say that its the domain attribute is
                      required to
                      be a "forward-slash-separated string" to be valid.

                      So I'm seeing some contradictions or confusion here. Maybe its just my
                      perception.

                      Cheers

                      -Emmanuel

                      --- In RSS2-Support@yahoogroups.com, "Danny Ayers" <danny666@v...> wrote:
                      > I think it's possibly a typo - the word 'element' I've highlighted below
                      > should maybe read 'attribute' to be consistent with the example.
                      >

                      > It has one optional attribute, domain, a string that identifies a
                      > categorization taxonomy.
                      >
                      > The value of the *element* is a forward-slash-separated string that
                      > identifies a hierarchic location in the indicated taxonomy. Processors may
                      > establish conventions for the interpretation of categories. Two examples are
                      > provided below:
                      >
                      > <category>Grateful Dead</category>
                      >
                      > <category domain="http://www.fool.com/cusips">MSFT</category>

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Phil Ringnalda
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 8, 2003
                        Bill Kearney wrote:
                        > Then how do you 'share' a hierarchy with another source?

                        Isn't that what the domain does?

                        <taxo:topics>
                        <rdf:Bag>
                        <rdf:li resource="http://meerkat.oreillynet.com/?c=cat23">
                        <rdf:li resource="http://meerkat.oreillynet.com/?c=47">
                        <rdf:li
                        resource="http://dmoz.org/Computers/Data_Formats/Markup_Languages/XML/">
                        </rdf:Bag>
                        </taxo:topics>

                        corresponds to

                        <category domain="http://meerkat.oreillynet.com/">DATA:XML</category>
                        <category domain="http://meerkat.oreillynet.com/">Whatever c=47
                        was</category>
                        <category
                        domain="http://dmoz.org/">Computers/Data_Formats/Markup_Languages/XML</categ
                        ory>

                        Phil Ringnalda
                      • Bill Kearney
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 8, 2003
                          That's what I suggested but Dave's response about it not being a URI raises some
                          confusion.

                          Likewise one could use dc:subject:

                          <dc:subject rdf:resource="http://meerkat.oreillynet.com/?c=cat23"/>

                          Now, as to whether aggregators understand what to actually DO with any of these
                          variants is a good question.