Re: Formal specification of RSS 2.0

  • dbmmd
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2003
      Your work toward formalization of RSS 2.0 is appreciated.

      I also recommend a W3C XML Schema for RSS 2.0. A human language
      specification will always be somewhat ambiguous and subject to miss
      interpretation.

      I'm concerned, however, that the <description> tag is simply stated
      to be a string. The source specification allows "entity-encoded
      HTML". By this, I understand it to mean that angle brackets are
      encoded. For example,

      <description>
      </description>

      would be

      <description>
      </description>

      This was important to handle badly formed HTML, but with XHTML, which
      is well-formed, the tags should be allowed, with or without a
      separate namespace declaration.

      That is,

      <description>
      </description>

      Aggregators that use a browser engine to render the description can
      provide a richer experience. The schema definition for <descriptoin>
      would be:

      <xs:element name="description" type="descriptionType"/>

      <xs:complexType name="descriptionType" mixed="true">
      <xs:sequence>
      <xs:any namespace="##any" processContents="skip"
      minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
      </xs:sequence>
      </xs:complexType>

      -Doug