Date-dependent content

  • martinkochanski
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2003
      I run a site (http://www.universalis.com) whose content depends on
      the date. In other words, you see Thursday's content on Thursday, and
      Friday's content on Friday.

      It would be nice to be able to have a newsfeed that behaves in the
      same way, but I can't see how to do it. The basic problem is that a
      website can't tell what date it is when you request a page, only the
      date when it receives your request, which may not be the same. To put
      it another way: I'm writing this email on a Tuesday but it's already
      Wednesday in Singapore...

      Obviously I could set up 27 RSS files, one for each possible time
      zone, and have them update themselves at various times in the course
      of 24 hours (actually they'd be dynamically generated like the rest
      of the site), but this seems to put rather a burden on the user to
      remember what time zone he's in when subscribing!

      It strikes me that some aggregators will already have come across
      this problem, and some of them may already be solving it for other
      reasons. If an aggregator is already aware of the user's true date,
      perhaps there could be some way to leverage this knowledge to present
      the user with a genuine "today" channel?