Re: [RSS2-Support] Re: Re: pubDate time zone?

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 5 2:51 PM
      Bill, what is it that you think Radio gets wrong? It gets the date-time from the operating system, and coverts it to GMT. Can't imagine what it could do differently. Dave

      Uh, I've made the strongest comments about it and tools like Radio /still/ get
      it wrong.
    • petite_lapin_blue
      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 9 8:02 AM
        --- In RSS2-Support@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kearney" <ml_yahoo@i...>
        wrote:
        > > <ot>
        > > Regarding geographical location... a time zone doesn't help
        much...
        > > but combined with the host IP address... it helps.
        > > </ot>
        >
        > Now you're in an area where I'm extremely familiar.

        Good. Any interesting papers or references you would like to share?
        Or better yet: concrete solutions.

        > And you're wrong again.

        Ok. Not worth discussing such dogmatic statement. Plus, what is this
        fixation with "right and wrong"? Why getting all religious all of the
        sudden? This is just software after all.

        > Geographic data from IP address is nearly useless. We track it on
        Syndic8 and
        > it's wrong FAR more often than it's right. Mainly because the
        tools used to do
        > IP lookups reference netblock or whois information. Most of the
        time this info
        > is not "where" the feed considers itself to reside.

        That's fine. No point in running in circle trying to find the
        unconditional truth. Approximation is just swell considering that
        there is no other alternative at the moment. But as always, I'm most
        likely wrong about that also.

        > Look, I understand the point you're trying to make.

        Compassion at last.

        > But you're just plain wrong.

        No arguing about that.

        > If you want to indicate location information, the Dublin Core
        format for
        > coverage and DCMI point allow you to express it exactly.

        Perhaps. But this requires an human being somewhere taking the time
        to generate such information in the first place. I'm most likely
        utterly wrong about that, but from the outset IP addresses and
        time-zones seems in more widespread use than semantically meaningful
        Dublin Core scribbling.

        > Trying to 'fake it' with a timezone is going to be wrong way more
        than it's ever right.

        Well... waiting for Godot and the "semantic web" sounds like an
        attractive alternative of course. But there is hope: as this is "an
        area where [you are] extremely familiar". Any pointers to concrete
        alternatives much appreciated therefore. Thanks.

        > Consider what happens when you run your laptop from a different
        timezone. Or if
        > the server is running (or serving) the feed from a timezone
        different than the
        > authoring timezone. There's no way to reliably extract positioning
        information
        > here. It's not like the people that created these specs didn't
        take this into
        > account.

        This is fine. Some zealots are obsessively looking for the absolute
        truth. Others are just trying to get by with what they have today.

        Cheers,

        PA.