RE: [RSS2-Support] Re: Summary of issue with xmlns attribute

  • Danny Ayers
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 28, 2002

      I support your position, and I wish the community would adopt it as well. But no vendor should step out and have to support this situation. No vendor in his right mind will.

      However that said, there's a big distinction between Radio not including the xmlns attribute on the rss element, and it being removed from RSS 2.0. Rado is just a product. Once this is sorted out, and I hope it happens soon, and we won't be subject to stump speeches and declarations of broken-ness (see Sam Ruby's weblog), maybe we'll be able to bring it back.

      But the community has to manage the politics. It's totally a political thing. I can't let UserLand be the scapegoat for this stuff. Can't do it.

      Oh, come on - it wasn't the community that pushed out RSS 2.0, and that's the stuff that's caused the problem. I'm happy to help try and move things forward, as are a lot of other people, despite major misgivings about the course of recent events. Ok, don't let UserLand be the scapegoat for this stuff either - accept a bit of responsibility for your own actions, and either do what you can to help fix things or drop 2.0 altogether.

      Cheers,
      Danny.
    • bloebrich
      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 29, 2002
        I don't think Sam is suggesting backing off current version numbers.
        I think he is suggesting two different version numbers for the
        newest Userland format. Use RSS 0.94 for the non-namespace format
        and RSS 2.0 for the version with the namespace option.

        Sincerely,
        Bruce Loebrich

        --- In RSS2-Support@y..., "Dave Winer" <dave@u...> wrote:
        > I thought of that of course, but it doesn't work -- because of the
        existence of 1.0.

        > One possible back-off is for the RDF folk to change the name of
        their spec to something other than RSS 1.0. I don't see that
        happening anytime soon, it's been debated ad nauseum, I can't devote
        any more cycles to that option.